Chapter 1

Quinn Richards noticed the pale pink envelope first

That downcast gloomy Saturday morning, when Bertha entered Blackwell's mansion, normally Quinn would have been happy of her presence.

But today she wasn't happy about her surprising visit...at all. She was rather worried suddenly. Because of that envelope in Bertha's hand.

She just knew it contained bad news. Helen Deveraux would never waste her time to write something good. Her adopted grand-aunt always had a knack to announce important life changing news like that.

As Bertha steadily paced forward, Quinn managed to lighten her concerned face with a faint smile.

"Good morning Miss. Richards, " Bertha beamed. "Good morning Bertha." She guided the old woman to the study room in silence and they both settled on the black Italian leather couch.

"Would you like some coffee, Bertha?" she asked casually, not in a mood to hear or read any depressing news. "No thanks Miss." The portly old woman looked briefly around at the neat wide range of books stacked on the long shelves that reached the length of the high ceilings, then stared back at her for a long time. A heavy silence fell upon the room..

Quinn adjusted her white dress uneasily. Early that morning, she had donned that dress in a haste and chose to stroll in the rose garden as she felt perturbed. Now soon, she would know exactly why she felt like that.

Bertha finally broke the disturbing silence. "I'm so sorry to disturb you early in the morning." She smiled quickly. "But as you can see, I had no choice. Mrs. Deveraux said this letter was of high importance and had to be delivered personally."

Quinn let out a deep sigh of exasperation. She wondered why her grand-aunt never use that telephone in her room like most people do.

Bertha handled her the envelope in a hurry. "I have to go now Miss. Richards." Quinn gave a brief nod, perfectly understood the reason of Bertha's hastiness. Helen Deveraux was severely strict and loved having her orders executed the way she wanted. She quietly watched Bertha as she rose up and walked away.

The moment she heard the door shut close, Quinn quickly tore the pink envelope open, determined to know what all that fuss was about. She found a letter and unfolded it with care.

Quinn, I've got some bad news...bad news enough to shake both of our peaceful lives. 

Byron Richards is coming tonight.

His sudden visit will surely cost us dearly. He thinks you're still living in my house. I know I told you not to stay with me, but circumstances have changed lately. He will stay with me for a couple of weeks.