thirty

I trudge my feet to the exit doors of the hospital in the reception

I trudge my feet to the exit doors of the hospital in the reception. I stand outside as it starts to snow. Flecks of white snowflakes descend from the clouds above and land onto my face. I stand under the roof by the doors as i wait patiently for the three-thirty bus to arrive.

I pull my phone out and text my mother informing her that I am coming home. When the bus arrives I step in without looking back at the hospital. It barely has any people in it; just a woman and her baby, some sleeping guy and a young couple. I walk to the last few rows in the back of the bus. When the bus driver steps on the gas I take the last glance back at the hospital and see Nick staring at me with sad eyes. In the back his mother gently pulls him away from the window. He waves at me and has a deep frown on his face when I do not wave back.

I turn to the front of the bus and take out my earphones plugging them into my phone. Closing my eyes, I quietly hum the tune of the song that plays in my ears. I sigh in contentment as I let Fleurie's melodic voice fill my ears, mind and soul. With my eyes still closed I place my hand on my heart while Fleurie's voice sings in the background -

" I don't want them to
know the secrets
I don't want them to
know the way I loved you
I don't think they'd
understand it, no
I don't think they would
accept me, no "

———

I am awaken by the bus driver who gently taps on my shoulder. This is when I am aware that I am the last person on the bus. "My dear, you have to get out now. This is the final stop I make before I drop off the bus and go home.” the kind driver declares to me.

"Oh yes! Right, I apologize." I scramble for my phone that has fallen underneath the seat in front of mine.

Once I have my phone I stuff it in my jeans' pockets along with my earphones. I get up from my seat and follow the tan old man to the entrance doors of the bus. Standing on the pavement, I check my surroundings to see if I am familiar with them. I am not.

"Excuse me, sir? Where exactly are we?" I glance up at the bus driver.

"Hamilton."

"Oh no no no! I cannot be set back again. Not like this. Now what am I supposed to do?” I groan to myself.

The bus starts to leave and I run after it, but it is too late. Damn it! The only person I can seriously think of right now is Nick. I really hope that he is alright no matter how angry at him I am. Plus his Dad's chauffeur could probably be able to drive down a couple of miles from Toronto to Hamilton just to fetch me. Or else I could get mugged in this unfamiliar city. To make matters worse... it starts to snow.

I find myself digging out of my pocket for my cellphone and I tap the contacts icon. I go into Nick's ID details and click on his number without hesitation. It rings thrice before the call goes on voicemail. I try again and again when eventually he answers the phone. Well at least I thought he specifically did. A recognisable male voice says, “Nicholas is not available now. Please call later as – ”

I stop Dan midway when I desperately beg him, "Mr Payne please do not hang up. I need your help.”

I hear him let out a frustrated sigh –— “What do you need?”

"Is it possible for your chauffeur to drive all the way down here to Hamilton?" I bite my bottom lip nervously, anticipating his reply. “I am kinda lost and have no idea how to get back home.”

I have a feeling he is going to reject my request especially after he found out that Nick and I were not really dating. I cross my fingers hoping that he does not reject the favor. I hear him sigh after some time then he says, “Yes, alright. Message me your address and I will see what I can do.”