⠀⠀⠀⦊ 02. MONARCH

MIN YOONGI | ♚

MIN YOONGI | ♚

▍❝ LOOK AROUND THE EMPTY
HALLWAYS, AS YOU WILL
SEE AND HEAR SECRETS.

Most times, Yoongi loved how quiet the castle got, peaceful and without disturbance. Other times, it made him feel like a lonely, lost little boy; no one to share his thoughts with, isolated from the rest of the world. At times like this, he holed himself up in the piano room, just himself, the piano, and maybe some sheet music. Though, more often than not, he liked playing by ear. It was his escape. From what, he didn't exactly know. Maybe it's better not to know, he mused as he made his way to the small room in the east wing of the third story. Yoongi stopped in front of the light blue door and pushed it open, seeing the sunlight filtering through the window and illuminating the piano like a spotlight. He smiled in wonder and stepped inside, door closing behind him with a small click. The ebony-haired prince reached up as if to run his hand through the sunlight, mind wandering to the time his parents had told him of an era where Nephilim could not be in sunlight without being burnt to ashes. It seemed unbelievable now, something of the far past. With a shake of his head and a sigh, Yoongi sat down at the piano chair. He felt himself relax physically, allowing his posture to become something more of a slouch than a painfully prideful, straight back that had been engraved into his mind as "fitting for a king" since he was four years of age.

Letting out a huff of bitter laughter, the man positioned his hands over the instrument sitting before him. He gently ran his fingers over the familiar keys. Then decisively, he pressed down and created the beginnings of a distant memory of a melody, something warm and blurry from his childhood. Soft notes echoed from the piano as Yoongi's hands glided over the black and white keys in front of him. He allowed his eyes to flutter closed as he tried to feel the pulse, the rhythm being played out by his fingertips. The man chased the melody to the depths of his own mind, wandering through the darkness in hopes of finding light. Just when he caught a glimpse of golden light, a knock sounded at the door, and he was pulled back into reality at the speed of a thousand suns. Yoongi felt himself startle as his finger slipped, pressing the wrong key. The tune went sour and the serene atmosphere in the room shattered. He lifted his hands quickly. One of them then immediately went to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Yes?" He asked, voice coming out more tired and weary than he himself had expected.

The person at the door didn't relent and continued delivering their message. "Your highness. His majesty the king requests your presence in the study." The voice lacked emotion and sympathy.

Yoongi heaved a sigh. "Alright. Please notify him that I will be with him soon." He already had an idea of what his father would be discussing with him, and he didn't like it. It's not like your opinions matter, his mind supplied. If there was a reply from the servant outside, Yoongi didn't hear it. The prince pressed down the frustration climbing up his throat and stood up, piano bench screeching against the hardwood floor. He extended a hand and closed the lid of the piano, then straightened out his posture and placed a carefully crafted poker face onto his facial features in a practiced manner. Slowly but firmly, he took the steps towards his exit. Yoongi pulled the door open and moved his feet out of his safe haven, yet a part of his conscious remained there, like always. The door closed behind him again, except this time he was standing in an empty hallway that radiated a feeling of apathy, a quality he had started associating with the castle at some point. But the prince held his chin high, just as his years of useless training had instructed him to do so. He strode in the direction of the study.