Ch.2 The Jewelers

Day 61 of the Dragon Head Feud.

"So this is the place?"

The scattered glass shards crackle under our feet as we step into the jeweler's. Not a single showcase left unravaged. Even the display lights have been stolen.

"I know they wanted me to search for the culprit, but to find the place in such a disastrous state..."

"..."

Oda looks back at me.

"Shiori, why did you come with me?"

"Dazai-san ordered it." I simply replied in my monotone voice.

He looks away and around the store.

This store isn't just your average jewelry store. It also doubles as a depository for the Gerhardt Security Services, the G.S.S. They're a powerful criminal organization. Any assets gained from their various underworld dealings were stored here as an attempt to hide the money's seedy origins. Until tonight that is.

Now who would do this, and how did they manage to attack a place protected by such a fearsome group?

"And who do we have here?"

We look ahead to notice and young man with long white hair. His eyes were red and looked bored. He also wore a lot of white.

"Some robbers late to the scene, perhaps? You're not going to find a single coin here

"Some robbers late to the scene, perhaps? You're not going to find a single coin here."

Oda stood in front of me protectively as he speaks.

"Who are you? And why are you here?"

"Pretty bold demands for some lax thieves. Something wrong with investigating the scene of a crime?"

"The police, huh?"

"No. I'm done for the day. Feel free to look around all you like. We're understaffed though, so you'll have to excuse the mess..."

"Mess...?"

"Yeah, try not to puke when you see them."

"What the?!"

The clouds had moved away from the moon, giving this store more light. It was only then we noticed. There were bloody bodies everywhere. A massacre must have occurred in here. Oda was a little shocked when looking around.

"What's going on here? How does someone pull off a massacre like this?"

"The one up against the wall is an infamous killer from the next town over. The body splattered along the aisle over there belongs to an accomplished mercenary, active during the war. And the man plastered against the ceiling was the leader of a particularly violent group within the G.S.S." I speak.

I recognize others... Everyone here had powerful supernatural abilities perfect for combat. They were probably hired as security for this shop, and killed by the thief. But who would be strong enough to take down such strong supernatural ability users?

"You're smart for a child, girl. But is it really that surprising?" the young man asks.

"What do you mean?" Oda questions.

"The gangs around here are in the middle of a big war. People are dying in the streets, even as we speak. The number of Supernatural Ability User corpses probably outnumber those still alive at this point..."

"...This is your first time in Yokohama, isn't it?"

"That's right. What about it?"

"If you were from around here, you'd know these murders make no sense. The G.S.S. has completely abstained from this feud. They are a neutral party. Whoever attacked their stronghold was just a thrill-seeking fool."

"So the culprit's a real idiot, huh? Haha, interesting."

"This might be his doing." Oda thinks to himself.

"His doing?"

"There've been rumors going around about a ability user who appeared a few days ago. Supposedly, he would attack all organizations involved in this feud. He doesn't discriminate. A real loose cannon. Pretty sure his name was-"

"Pale Qilin." the man interrupts. "They say those who see him never live to tell the tale. But then again, if there were no witnesses, who gave him that name in the first place?"

"I wonder what he's like... And what is it about his killings that would warrant the word pale?"

"Hmm... Wait, what? No it's Qilin, not 'killings'..."

"Oh. I see. My mistake."

"If the culprit really is this Pale Qilin, then I don't think this is the place for investigators. I'll be leaving."

The man head for the entrance, passing us.

"We'll stay a little longer. I want to learn more about the 'Pale Qilin' and his motive."

Oda's words made the man stop in his tracks. He then faces us.

"...Ah, that reminds me. I have a hint for you two. His motive is obvious. It was boredom. He thought perhaps if he saw a beautiful jewel, he might actually feel something. I bet he had the same face that child is making right now."

"..."

"I've change my mind. I want to see you again after all. If you two survive, let's be sure to meet once more, shall we?"

And with that, he leaves.

...I don't trust that man.

"Odasaku, Shiori. Are you alright?"

"Dazai-san?"

"Dazai? What are you doing here?"

Dazai enters the store and walks up to us.

"I received a surveillance tip. Did a man with long hair just leave?"

"Yeah, we talked a bit."

Dazai looked a bit surprised.

"You two are lucky to be alive... That man was the Pale Qilin. That demon plans to take over this feud, and all of us along with it."

"..."

I knew I didn't trust that man.