Chapter Sixteen

Today

Anne's POV

"Why the hell are you living with them? And for how long now?" I asked furious at Elles for lying to me. I peeked out the door to make sure no one was around. Good thing surveillance cameras weren't in the room.

"I'm not living with them, what would make you think so anyway?" Elles asked turning her head away. She's playing stupid now.

"Captain Beef Body just said you should stay out of "Wanda's' way" and he just informed you of the whereabouts of the other weirdos. So, Duh!" I said pointing at the spot where Captain America had stood.

Elles chuckled shaking her head sheepishly. "Beef body, seriously?. I must say, i am proud of your nicknaming abilities. A trait you so humbly learned from me."

I rolled my eyes at her silly one minute ego then my angry mood returned "You know what i mean!".

"Honestly, i don't! "She said biting her lip trying to hold back laughter, but her face turned serious when i crossed my arms and raised a brow while balancing on one leg.

"Do you enjoy staying with them? Since when did you start getting along with your so-called enemies? How do you even know they're not planning to put your head on a pike or even turn you in to the government?."

"If they wanted to do that, they'd have done it a long time ago. Trust me, they're not going to " She said quite sure of herself.

"What do you mean? " I asked then realization hit me like a wrecking ball. "You mean, you've been living here for a whole week? "

She nodded.

I could feel anger spiking in me. The betrayal.

"You told me you were in jail."

"Yes i was, this place is jail!" She said flinging her arms aimlessly in the air.

"No it is not, i thought you were in an actual prison cell and i accepted that because well, it was normal. You said you'd meet up with me in Wisconsin. What happened after that?. A week goes by without a word from you. I resolved to tracking you down with the G.P.S device in your mask and guess what? It says you're at the Avengers Tower. I come down here and boom, you almost buried a bomb in your digestive system trying to be a superhero. Life's full of surprises, they say. Now i believe it. I really can't believe you Elles. You lied to me. I thought we were best friends and not supposed to keep secrets from each other."

"Oh for Heaven's sake Anne!!" Elles yelled throwing her hands up in the air frustratingly. She stood up to meet my height and she was a lot taller than me. I sometimes felt bullied by her even though i was older. I flinched at her sudden outburst.

"You're yelling at me now? I'm trying to do the right thing here. This isn't about being a goddamn hero. Yes, i lied to you so you wouldn't have to worry so much. Yes, i said they were my enemies. But i have to do this, it doesn't matter who's friends with who. If i hadn't been here, he would be in pains by now and i'd have felt guilty and i have no freaking idea why. I feel lost, Anne. I'm being selfless here, do you understand how difficult that is?. I need my father. Even if he doesn't have any idea who i am, i just need to be there for him, i can't help it. I feel like if i don't watch out for him, something bad might happen. No more super villain Loki -take -over -the -earth -destroy -the -Avengers -bullshit. I'm done with all of that. My family comes first. "

She was very serious, i could see it in her eyes. I didn't want her to make choices she would regret later but i also had to let her do stuff and make decisions on her own. I had to be supportive. That was what best friends did.