Ch 16

"I could sleep for aeons after the last week." Lily exhaled lowering her back on the tree both of you lay on. 

"How'd you reckon you did?" You asked.

"Pretty well actually. But I'll probably only get an Acceptable in Divination." She sighed.

"You do still realize that's still a pass, right?" You teased earning a punch in the arm.

"How'd you do?" Lily nudged.

"I think I did... fine." You answered.

"What do you mean 'fine'?" Lily asked concerned. "You couldn't have possibly failed your O.W.L's." She admonished.

"Of course not." Which was true since you and Lily, along with Remus, were the known as the brightest Gryffindors in fifth year. "I'm not quite sure about the Herbology examination." You confessed hiding your face.

"I'm assuming from the look on Professor Sprout's face after the exam, you did ruddy brilliant. As long as you added-" 

The sound of commotion by black lake caught both your attention. You were just about to ignore it when you heard the three words "Nice one James!" from none other than Sirius Black. Before you acknowledged what was happening, you saw Lily swiftly move towards the sound and you quickly followed.

Up the hill near the black lake you saw James, Severus and Sirius; all with their wands drawn. 

"  Impedimenta!  " James shouted causing Severus to fall on the ground, wand miles away, staring at James in anger.

"Not so tough without your wand, 'r ya now Snivellus," Sirius yelled making you furious. What made your blood boil was the number of students, a majority female, who laughed at his remark.

"Stay away from me Potter." Severus whispered but it was loud enough for you to hear. He tried reaching for his wand, attempting to jinx James.

" Scourgify " James shouted. Every time Severus tried to speak it sounded like he was trapped in a bubble. You watched the scene unfold, horrified, before turning your eyes to Sirius who shrugged and looked away.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Lily screamed beside you, the crowd silencing. James looked at Lily, confused, before grinning. 

"Evans. How about we make a deal? You go out with me and I let your Slytherin friend go." He proposed.

"I'm am not going anywhere with you Potter. Leave Severus alone. Now!" Lily demanded. James was about to answer her but a shot of light flew past his face, missing him and Sirius by an inch.

" Levicorpus. " He yelled again and before you knew it Severus was suspended in the air. You heard Sirius laugh causing you to snap.

"Put Snape down you git!" You yelled. "Put him down." You tried again but James regarded you.

"Who wants to see me pull Snivellus's pants down?" Sirius asked the crowd earning cheers in return.

"DON'T YOU EVEN TRY BLACK!" You bellowed drawing your wand. That seemed to get their attention. 

"You think you're so funny, but you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Put him down." Lily argued and finally, James released Severus, a little too harshly for your liking but none the less.

"Happy now Snivellus? How about you thank Evans?" James asked anger masking his features.

"I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!" Collective gasps were heard from around the circle, including one from the red-haired girl beside you. You noticed a tear fall down her face as she ran in the opposite direction Snape had. You were about to run after her when a familiar tight grip landed on your shoulder.

"What do you think (L/N)? I reckon he deserved it." The nerve of this idiot  you thought glaring at him. 

"Leave me alone Black." You spat shrugging his hand off your shoulder as if stupidity was contagious. You began to run but stopped, looking back at the Marauders. "And neither of you is to try to talk or even look at Lily ever again or, so Merlin help me, you'll regret it." You threatened your wand pointing at each of them. Satisfied by the terrified looks on their face you turned on your heel, following the path you remembered Lily went through.

____________

"Lily? Lily? Are you there?" You asked around the deserted Gryffindor common room. "Lils? Evans, if you can hear me please answer... Lily? Li-" The portrait of the common room opened showing a teary-eyed Lily Evans. You ran up to her, engulfing her in a hug. "Oh Godric, Lily. I was so worried. I'm so sorry."

"I-it's okay. You didn't do anything wrong." Lily consulted, dragging herself up the stairs to the girls' dorms, you right on her heels. Luckily your room was empty as she jumped on her bed and curled into a ball.

"I'm just really worried about you." You awkwardly stated sitting at the edge of your bed facing Lily, her back to you. You heard her mumble something. "What?" She turned around facing you. You saw her hesitate.

"Sev didn't care about my blood status." She began avoiding eye contact. "I thought all that mattered was our friendship and that we'd known each other since before first year." Lily began as you listened intently.

"And Potter." She spat, venom dripping from her voice. "I can't believe I was stupid enough to think he changed. Him and Black hurt Severus like it was a daily past time. The Marauders are just as bad as each other. They'll never grow up. Never." She spat. You sat there trying to find the words to consult but a lump got stuck in your throat.

 "I'm going to sleep." Lily breathed out. "You can tell Marlene and Alice what happened when they come back. I don't really feel like doing it myself." And with that, she tucked herself into her bed and within seconds her breathing steadied.

You agreed with everything she said. They were just as bad as each other. At least now you didn't have to tutor Sirius anymore. You doubted you could even look at him in the face anymore without feeling the need to jinx him. At that moment you realized every premature feeling you had towards him was replaced with hatred and anger; at that moment nothing was gonna change it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot a lot that happened in this scene so with the power of the internet I wrote this. It was pretty confusing adding your character and Sirius into a scene that focuses mainly on James, Lily and Snape. I know I made some of the lines James said into Sirius ones but I just needed it to fit the plot, so don't attack me.

a.m