Prologue

You'd come home from your tutor session with your neighbour, Mrs Baldwin, to meet your parents sitting in the living room watching T.V.

To the average person, your parents looked like normal people, but as their daughter, you knew otherwise. Your mother was a witch. Not the kind that surrounds a cauldron mixing odd ingredients together but a person who could perform magic; and she was a good one too, the best you knew. 

Your father was what you call a muggle; as normal as they come, unless you count marrying a witch. And you? You weren't quite sure yet. Your mother always said that little mishaps in your life, for example when you once sang in the bathtub and the water turned purple, were indications that you were a witch too but it was 3 days till 1st September and you hadn't gotten your Hogwarts letter. You never liked getting your hopes up.

"(Y/N)? I thought you were supposed to be with Mrs Baldwin until 4 pm?" Your mother inquired, barely looking up from the luminous screen.

"Yeah, but I already read ahead so she let me off early." You answered. "Why do I have to do muggle subjects like Maths and English when you can teach me all the magic spells you know?" You whined plopping down on the empty couch next to Dad. 

"Because sweetheart, those are what you'll learn in Hogwarts. We want you to be good at muggle subjects so the wizarding ones aren't too difficult. Like a head start." Your mother replied.

"But what if-" You began but father cut you off. 

"What did Mrs Baldwin teach you in maths today?" He asked. Your mother turned her head towards you, highly intrigued by muggle knowledge. 

"We revised the powers of 10 and adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions. Oh, and he taught me about this thing called algebra, a weird concept really. Why in Merlin's name would you put letters in maths?" You continued, emphasizing on each topic. Looking up you chuckled at the sight of your parents' bewildered expressions. 

"One thing I can promise you is this isn't the math I learned as a kid." Dad stated causing you and mother to laugh.

The laughter in the house was overpowered by the sound of tapping at the kitchen window. Your father got up to check what the commotion was about and cursed when he saw a brown horned owl, but let it in. Unlike the owls that usually came to your house, this one landed on your shoulder instead of your mothers. It dropped an envelope on your lap before flying back out the window it came from. You lifted the envelope, grinning from ear to ear as you studied the bright red seal and Hogwarts crest.

An audible gasp was heard behind you, your mother wearing a similar grin to your own. Your father looked at her puzzled till she sang, "My daughter's going to Hogwarts!" making him grin too. 

"Our daughter's going to Hogwarts, our daughter's going to Hogwarts." Your parents chanted as they conga lined around the house.

The next day both your parents came with you to Diagon Alley to get your supplies. You got your wand and robes and you were ready. 

On first September you stepped aboard the Hogwarts Express, a glisten in your eyes. After praying and wishing you were finally going to Hogwarts.