11- Leaves

I get that this song is about a boy and his thoughts after a break-up...but this song just has the perfect vibe for this chapter.

Taeyong's POV

One month later

"Don't go near Y/N, again.  Or you will die."

His stepsister's words still echoed through his mind as he sat in the grass of the park, alone.  Taeyong knew that his defiance against Jina would be a grave mistake.  Unlike him, she had the resources and the connections to get the job done.  And he knew that she would do it. 

Taeyong could only watch the events that had unfolded over the passing weeks.  He had watched helplessly as his stepsister slowly took away the one person that Y/N cared about the most.  He watched as she slowly began to torment Y/N, bullying and pushing her around.  She even had the nerve to tell Jisung never to talk to Y/N, again.  Taeyong felt awful for both Jisung and Y/N.  And for every other person that Jina had manipulated and hurt in the past.  Even some of his friends, he noted, had slowly turned a cold shoulder to him in favor of the new girl that had seemingly shown up like a shining star.  The little world that he knew was crumbling apart.  

"Hey," Taeyong turned around to find his old roommate, Johnny.  He was another one of his past.  After his stepsister had arrived, she had forced Johnny to move out of Taeyong's apartment.  

Johnny sat down in the grass, letting the sun warm his face.  The cool breeze that foreshadowed the nearing of winter danced across the park.  Soon, it would be too cold to enjoy the nice weather.  

"Why do you listen to her?"

Taeyong sighed, looking out across the park at the swaying trees bathed in red, orange, and yellow. "Her father owns a powerful company and holds much influence.  Jina has unfortunately gained access to his power.  She can do what she wants and I can't lift a finger."

"She sucks," Johnny said.  Taeyong laughed bitterly in response.

"Have you heard anything from Jisung?" His friend asked.  

"No."

"I think he plans to marry Jina."

"Jesus take the wheel."

"Amen."

After Johnny left the park, Taeyong stayed behind to watch the sunset.  They had talked for hours about the group and what was happening.  Most of what he heard was about how Jina was controlling everything, now. He wished that she never knew him.  Wait, no.  He wished that she never existed in the first place.  

The hazy glow of the coming dusk slowly melted behind him as he paced back and forth along the park's pathway, still brooding.  A few people passed him, a happy couple, a bicycle rider, a father and his child...and they all looked so serene.  

If only I was like them.

A girl passed by him, her head down as she walked briskly.  He could tell that she was crying by her soft sobs.  Taeyong recognized the familiar lavender cardigan that she wore, sucking in a breath as he did so.  The girl looked up, startled, her once-shining eyes that captivated him now filled with the tears that streaked down her face.  Taeyong returned her sorrowful look with a grimace.

I'm sorry, Y/N.

Y/N stayed with him, both of them not saying a word.  They watched the sunset in silence, and then up at the starry sky above.     

"She took him from me, you know," Y/N said.

Taeyong turned to her, "I know."

"She told me that she is your sister." The statement made him scoff.

"Some sister."

Y/N looked up at the night sky, "I know you, Taeyong," she said, finally, "you went my primary school."

"I was."

"And," Y/N looked back into Taeyong's eyes.  He knew he wasn't supposed to see her, but the threat of his sister was suddenly not in his mind.  He didn't care.  All he saw was Y/N.  

"And, we made a promise...." Y/N's voice wobbled slightly as she held back a fresh wave of tears, "...that we would be friends forever.  No matter what." Taeyong felt his heart leap up with a new sense of hope.  He watched as a tear rolled down her cheek and reached out and wiped it away, his fingers brushing across her skin gently.  

Something more than friends.

"Don't cry, Y/N," he said, "I can't have you cry because I know you are strong."

For once ever since he had seen her after his stepsister arrived, Taeyong saw the tiniest of smiles flicker across Y/N's face.  It made him want to freeze the moment and keep it forever, where she was happy.  He wanted her to be happy again. 

Taeyong leaned over his face inches from hers.  Y/N didn't flinch.  She just stared into his eyes, "And you know something else?" A light breeze teased through his bright red hair, bringing a showering of leaves from the trees above.  They floated down like snowflakes around the lone pair.  

No matter how he said it, he still blushed, "I still love you, Y/N." With a hand, he brushed her hair out of her face. 

In the night air, the wind seemed to whisper a beautiful melody as his eyes trailed over her face, her eyes, her nose- her lips, taking it all in.  To him, she was perfect.  An angel.

Taeyong paused as he caught Y/N's gaze, as she stared up at him, amazed.  It drove him crazy, how she could make him fall so hard for her.  

You are truly amazing, Y/N.

"I love you, too," she whispered, almost too quietly for him to catch, but he heard it.  

It's a whole new universe, the first kiss.  

You've opened my eyes, Y/N.

________________________