08

What Kihyun wants for his birthday, he tells them while not looking either of them in the eye, is very selfish. Because he's not looking at them, Kihyun doesn't see how they are both standing with their arms crossed, staring at him in the very human incarnation of skepticism. When Kihyun says he's being selfish, it usually isn't true -- in fact, Hyungwoncan't recall a single instance in which it was, which almost makes him laugh; but Kihyun is so serious that seems mean, so he bites his tongue. Hoseok, seeming to sense this, shakes his head vigorously at Hyungwon who nods: okay okay. Hoseok clears his throat.

"Well uh, go ahead. If it's too much, we'll let you know."

At his side, Hyungwon's small smile grows a little bigger because 'we'.

"Um," Kihyun hunches his shoulders.

"Yaa just spit it out!" Hoseok does not quite stamp his foot.

Hyungwon elbows him. Hard.

"I'm sure it's not selfish," Hyungwon says and Hoseok mouths petulantly at him: way to make me the bad guy. Hyungwon shrugs.

"Ummm."

Hoseok sighs.

***

It takes another week or two before Kihyun tells them. Hoseok proceeds to roll his eyes for three days straight while Hyungwon tells him to be nice and says to Kihyun, " I'm for it. Why not?"

"'Why not'," Kihyun says a little desperately, "Is not a good enough reason."

To which Hoseok cheekily says: "why not?" and when Kihyun appears ready to argue against his own wishes, Hoseok reaches out and presses his hand to Kihyun's mouth, waving his other hand in dismissal. "Seriously. I thought it was going to be really fucking weird and all you want is-----"

***

They brainstorm.

"A bird," Kihyun suggests. "For flight."

"I want mine small," Hoseok says.

"I don't," Hyungwon blinks.

***

Hyungwon draws out the line art of a folded wing for himself, a clear-cut talon for Hoseok, and a sparrowhawk that bears both for Kihyun.

"Because we're a part of you now," Hyungwon says, not looking up from his sketches.

As a result, he's doubly surprised when Kihyun's arms encircle him from behind. When Kihyun presses his face against the top of Hyungwon's head and seems to awkwardly nod without nodding. Behind them, Hoseok has that feeling he often gets when Kihyun and Hyungwon are close like this: the feeling that he ought to be jealous, that he ought to be angry because that's normal right? Hoseok walks over, leans his shoulder against both of them somehow and just says,

"We're all selfish. Didn't you get the memo?"

***

The artist who inks this connection into their skin is named Shownu. He does it for a good price -- such a good price that Hoseok is suspicious but when asked about it, Shownu tilts his head and replies, "but I don't need more than that."

They thank him and on their way out, a young man with a shock of ash hair comes into the shop. The door is closing as Hyungwon hears him say:

"You look happy."

Shownu laughs a wide-open sound. "Well, I had a good day."

And he gets it. He really does.

***

Around them the sky whispers from pink to lavender and the fall of some unnamed flower makes it look like snow, except this planet is never anything near so cold as to freeze the rain. not that it rains here either. Which leaves the blossoming trees as something of a mystery. Kihyun claims this is good for the universe -- that not everything should make sense. Hoseok thinks that if everything made sense there would be less strife in the world. Hyungwon isn't listening, is busy trying to catch the petals lazing through the air one by one. They are never as close as they appear however and he only manages to grab a few. Nne he gives to Kihyun, one to Hoseok, and one he keeps.

"This is the kind of day," Kihyun says softly, all three of them lying down in the unending field, flowers rising like trees on either side of them, "I love the most."

They stay until nightfall when the pinks and lavenders have matured into ceruleans and teals. As they stand, Hyungwon reaches to brush stray flowers and leaves out of Hoseok's hair, but Hoseok leaves the flowers in Hyungwon's.

"You're so," Hoseok trails off.

"I'm what, Hoseok?" Hyungwon giggled turning to face Hoseok.

"I don't know," Hoseok sighs.

"Oh," Hyungwon mumbled as the smile dropped from his face. He walked quickly, trying to catch up with Kihyun to as him where they're off to next.

Hoseok follows, slowly. The words he's been dying to say still fresh on the tip of his tongue.