04

There's an obvious strain on Kihyun and Wonho's relationship. After their argument, Hoseok doesn't leave his workroom for a week. He's watching the news on the tablet on his worktable. Sometimes he checks on his family through the news, he's relieved to see that his brother is doing well and the family business is thriving. He's still sad when he sees them but never as sad as the year before. It's not like it matters anyway, Hoseok would rather be where he is now than back with his family.

"What is it?" Hoseok asks, his eyes never leaving the screen on the table.

"Here are the extra wires you wanted I-" Hyungwon cuts short. "Did something happen?"

Something in Hoseok's chest throbs, tightens, feels heavy.

Hurts.

"Hoseok?" Hyungown steps closer, his hands remaining glued to his side and his fists clenched.

"Thanks," Hoseok says, gently removes the pieces threatening to fall first, then the rest, splaying them on the table in no special order. Poorly hidden beneath stray schematics for a near-future upgrade and other smaller side projects, a wooden box still sleeps; except now it has the bare beginnings of a song, and Hyungwon can't possibly see it, can't possibly know, but the way his eyes linger on that corner of Hoseok's space is enough to leave him anxious.

"When are we taking off?" Hoseok asks

"Kihyun says within the hour."

"Alright."

Hyungwon's hands twitch at his sides.

If Hoseok were to guess, he would say they're looking for something to hold.

It's a feeling he's familiar with.

***

"Talk about a complete 180."

"Shut up."

A loud laugh erupts from Kihyun's lips while Hoseok looks behind him to find Hyungwon sitting in his chair that Kihyun bought him with a smile on his face.

"Do you really mean it Hoseok?" Hyungwon beams.

"Yeah, I guess."

This is what Hoseok thinks is a bad idea but ends up befriending Hyungwon anyway. He knows when Hyungwon is turned over to earth, he'll cease to exist. If he's gonna spend his last days on their ship, he might as well be happy.

***

Over the next couple of weeks the habits of countless days look like this:

Hyungwon padding barefoot into the cockpit and leaning his cheek against the top of Kihyun's chair. Kihyun reaching back to push his fingers through Hyungwon's hair and rub soothing pressure along his scalp. Hoseok shadowing afterward and sitting in his own chair, still fighting what Kihyun has labelled as his Very Serious Condition, careful not to remove himself from the equation but also not to change it. Kihyun cooks because Hoseok isn't allowed and Hyungwon often doesn't feel like it. When they are between ports and just drifting, there is enough time for Hoseok to relax despite everything.   

***

On a planet made mostly of an ocean, Hyungwon floats on his back and if Hoseok narrows his eyes just so, he almost loses Hyungwon in the reflection of the stars. He lets him drift like some kind of lullaby just for him until he starts to drift in the wrong direction (away), but rather than call to him, Hoseok treads through liquid starlight until he can rest one hand on Hyungwon's shoulder, steering him back towards their idling ship. 

"Hoseok?" he blinks, drowsy enough that he just lets Hoseok move him how he ought to, aware with all due softness of the sky above them and how in his head it isn't so different from the sea.

"Relax." pause. " I've got you."

Hyungwon closes his eyes.  

***

When everything they have comes crashing down, the day starts off as a normal day. Kihyun sits in the cockpit doing as what Hoseok calls "Boring Captain Nonsense" and Hyungwon sits beside Hoseok in his workroom. Hyungwon is watching a movie on a tablet while Hoseok works on his music box. He's finished a quarter of the song. He'd like to finish it before--

"Hyungwon, they're here," Kihyun says.

The room goes silent, the only noise coming from the movie Hyungwon was watching. 

"What do you mean Kihyun?" Hosoek asked.

"The government, they've come to collect Hyungwon."

"We can't let him go Kihyun, they're going to--"

"If I don't go you'll both be in trouble. I think I've caused the both of you enough trouble now, turn me over and go retire somewhere nice. Hoseok, I thank you for opening your heart to me in the end and Kihyun, you're a great captain and you'll do great things. I thank both of you for the little normality I had in my life, I totally forgot I was a criminal," Hyungwon spilled. "I wouldn't want to die by the hands of the people who made my life so miserable so please, kill me," Hyungwon choked. 

"Hyungwon--"

"You'll still get your bounty, just put me out of my misery."

"And have your blood on my hands?" Hoseok half yelled. "Your life is worth more than some stupid bounty. If we're fast enough, we can leave together. We'll run to some distant planet and Kihyun, you won't have to worry about us anymore."

"What're you talking about Hoseok?" Kihyun yelled.

"Hyungwon and I are nothing but runaways from earth, we chose to leave for whatever reason and we knew the consequences. If you can just--"

"I'm coming too," Kihyun asserted.

"Kihyun, don't do this. You're the youngest captain in the starship fleet history. You told me that was your dream since you were a child, don't give it up," Hoseok urged.

Kihyun points to a silver star with soft chains on his fleet jacket, one of the many badges on his jacket. "This means loyalty. I'm not going to let you guys go on your own," Kihyn says in his captain voice.

"You sure about this?" Hyungwon asks.

With a steady voice, Kihyn says, "and do you think anything you'll say will convince me otherwise?"

"No," Hoseok says and has his cheek pressed hard against his fist. "Just making sure you're a hundred percent aware exactly what you're getting into."

A life sentence. So to speak.

But to this, Kihyun simply lifts his head, meets Hoseok's dark eyes dead-on and says, "Then we don't have a problem."