Chapter Three

Chapter Three:
The Truth Comes Out
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

      After the strange newspaper articles at Ben's house Maya went home. Of course, Richie decided to tagalog with her.

      "So what did you wanna talk about?" Richie asked, turning his head toward the girl. His tone became softer, more caring and gentle instead of loud and brash.

    "I want to do it in private." Maya responded, pulling at the hairties on her wrist. Richie quickly stopping her, a worried expression on his face. 

      "Oh, ho, ho!" Richie smirked, letting go of her hand. "It's that kind talk, I get it."

     Maya gasped and smacked him on the arm "No! No, it's not! It's important."

      He chuckled but nodded silently. The rest of the short bike home was quiet. No jokes from Richie as he was far too worried about his best friend to even think of any.

      How would she tell him? Would he accept her?

      "We're here!" Richie shouted throwing the door open, slamming it behind him once Maya had entered. "Mr. B! Josh the posh!"

      "Hey, dad, Josh!" Maya yelled, plopping herself on the couch next to Josh and Richie.

      "What's for dinner?" Maya called, turning her head to look into the kitchen from the couch.

      "Tacos." David replied, cutting up some tomatoes. "Richie, are you staying for dinner?" David looked up from the tomatoes and other vegetables.

      "Yeah." Richie nodded and turned towards the tv. They watched the movie in silence until David finished cooking dinner.

      Shortly after the movie, dinner was ready. The family, and Richie, gathered around the table. Although he was definitely considered family to the three.

      The table was filled with chatter and laughter. Maya looked around the table with a soft smile on her face. Though her life wasn't perfect by far, she was certainly happy.

    b "So, Maya, how was the quarry?" Josh asked, after taking a sip of his drink.

"It was good! Richie won the chicken-fight." Maya took a sip of her drink, eyeing her best friend.

      "That's not the only thing I won! Am I right, Josh?" Richie turned to with his hand up, slowly putting it down when he shook his head. "Okay, tough crowd, huh? Got it.."

      "And we went to Ben's house after." Maya finished her taco before continuing,  "Is it okay if Beverly comes over for a sleepover? Like tomorrow or the next day?"

      "If her parents are okay with it. " David nodded, before continuing his conversation with Josh.

      Maya finished her meal in silence and waited for Richie to finish his. When he did she took both of their plates and quickly put them into the sink.

      She grabbed Richie's hand and pulled him up the stairs to her room. She slammed the door and pushed him onto the chair while she sat on the bed. She moved so fast that he could barely keep up with her.