Chapter Seven

Gringotts was as impressive as Neville remembered. The tall, marble building standing proud against the otherwise rather dirty, crowded and small structures of Diagon Alley. They apparated right into the middle of the walk in front of the bank, Neville would have stumbled if not for the strong arms holding him up. Sammael's face was grave; he seemed to be deep in thought. Neville followed him as his 'cousin' led the way into Gringotts. His mouth dropped open in shock when he saw the goblins either bow or nod to him respectfully.

Sammael approached a goblin at a high desk. "Fair noon," Sammael greeted politely. "I wish to see one Griphook concerning the naming of my heir." The goblin nodded as he beckoned a younger goblin over with one crooked, gnarled talon.

"He shall see you shortly," the goblin said. "Murkeye, show Lord Slytherin to a meeting room." The younger goblin nodded to the elder, then bowed to the wizards. They were ushered through the decorative halls, deeper into the bank, past anywhere that Neville had ever seen before. Gradually, the carpets and decorations became more grand, fitting for a palace. Eventually, Murkeye opened a large, looming set of oak double doors where a low table surrounded by comfortable seats were.

Murkeye beckoned them into the room. "Griphook shall be with your shortly, Master Wizards," he said quietly before backing out of the room. After the doors swung shut, Neville flopped himself down onto one of the seats. Sammael took a place next to him.

"Is this alright with you, Neville?" Sammael asked, softly. Neville turned to him. The scarred face looked pensive, the emerald eyes were clouded and stormy.

"Of course," The boy said. "I know you said that we're already family, but this'll really make it official." Neville's voice, already quiet, dwindled down to a mumbled whisper as his face flushed. It was finally happening. After all those years of tantalising visions of a better life, his saviour was finally here. True, he wasn't being adopted. But being named heir was the next best thing. Since, as an heir, an entire line depended upon them for the continuing of the family, a Head of the family became a partial guardian over their heir. They were able to step in if they saw a situation the heir was in as dangerous, or, if they thought the current guardians were unfit, they were able to contest for custody.

From now on, Sammael might as well be his godfather.

***1047***

Sammael had discovered, the last time he was in Gringotts, just who he really was. He wasn't sure whether to feel surprised or resigned that he, himself, was Harry Potter. He found it ironic that he, the 'eldest' son of Salazar Slytherin was one of the two remaining heirs of Godric. He found it sad that there was a prophecy saying that he and 'Voldemort' were destined to destroy each other. He resolved in himself that he'd never, ever raise his wand against his father's descendent. Yes, he would protect innocents caught in Voldemort and Dumbledore's crossfire, but he was neutral in this so called 'war'.

All he cared about was ensuring that both the Gryffindor and Slytherin lines survived the conflict. However, once he'd learned that Dumbledore had been the one to condemn him to a life with the Muggles that had tortured him, he decided that, while he wasn't on Voldemort's side, he was very much anti-'light'. He barely considered Dumbledore a Light Wizard at all. After all, Light Wizards and Witches were like Helga, who dedicated their lives to healing, restoration, and the like. Dumbledore was a scheming manipulator. He tore down ancient rituals, rites and traditions all because they were supposedly 'evil'. The man was actively destroying magic.

But then there was Neville to worry about now. True, Neville no longer trusted Dumbledore, nor was he convinced of Voldemort's evil-ness. However he was still a boy, and Sammael had no idea how he'd react to finding out that Sammael was, in fact, Harry Potter. Would it be better to tell him sooner? Or later?