Chapter 1: The Boar

Start from the beginning

"No, I meant Shifu!"

"Oh, no. He's alive. Barely."

The girl accusingly stared at the panda upon seeing his troubled expression. She clears her throat, "uhm....dad? I, uh, need to run some errands back at Mrs. Huang. I'll be right back." She quickly left the two in the shop, hopeful that Po would be able to fix what he'd done.

Deep in thought, she walks through the hill to pick some mushrooms. She'd done so whenever her mind would feel pressured. It helps her ease up along with the soup that she'll create later. Being adopted was something she'd known for a long time.

As a child, Kira was always curious that she'd eavesdrop on everyone around her. And that's when the girl found out when a neighbor had asked her dad on when he'd inform the other villages of missing children that might be theirs.

She never question him about it, and doesn't have the courage to bring up the topic. Kira is never good at bringing out sensitive issues nor was she ever good at fixing her nor others problems.

The only thing that she is proudly similar to their dad is her love for cooking. But even if she is, it's quite rare to hear compliments from him. He's expecting Po to inherit the family restaurant as he is the son.

A sigh escaped from her lips, by the time Kira comes down the hill, it was already sundown and she sees the people leave the valley of peace.

The girl ran downhill and asks the first villager she encounters of the situation. "Danger is coming! But Master Shifu is in no condition to fight. Hurry or you'll get caught up in the fight. Only that tigress student from the Jade Palace will attempt to stop the enemy."

After a few walk through, she spots Mr. Zhang, their left side neighbor. "Mr. Zhang! Have you seen dad and Po?"

"I haven't seen them leave at all. Mr. Ping was still in his kitchen when I passed through the shop."

Kira squeezed through the opposite direction of the crowd, apoligizing every now and then. One of them was rather unlucky to get tackled to the ground by the female monkey. She stood up and apologized in a hurry.

"It's alright." Turns out, it was that male monkey, along with the three others who were with the kung fu student earlier. She offered the boy a hand to pull him up.

"Why are you not following the crowd?" asked the snake.

"I can't. I still have to find my family."

"There's nothing to worry. The Master from the Jade Palace will stop him. The guy could surely beat up butts with that attitude," the monkey said with assurance.

"No. You don't understand. It's just the kung fu student who'll fight for the village," after then, she got swallowed back in the crowd.

"Ok. She's doomed. Let's go," Mantis continued down the road.

The three looked at each other and began to walk among the last of the villagers, but Monkey glanced back to the opposite way with the most idiotic idea in his mind. "We have to go back."

"What?" Crane and Viper had their jaws to the ground.

"That's suicide," the insect came back once a gain at high speed, standing on the monkey's shoulder.

"Tigress won't be able to handle it alone, and there are people who haven't evacuated yet...." his face was more serious than he had shown before. And this time, he's not joking around, "We must help her."

With heavy breaths, Kira finally made it to their home, but sees her dad still in the kitchen packing up half of the shop ingredients in separate bags. Her hands slams on the window kitchen window, "Dad, what are you doing? ! We have to leave!"

"No, we don't. One should be in the restaurant cooking for the evacuees and two could run to the evacuated area and bring all my noodles to the villagers," he simply said, arranging the containers back under the counter.

"But Dad, there's going to be a war outside! Everyone in the valley of peace must evacuate right now," her anger starts to bubble up inside her from her dad's stubbornness.

"Oh, relax. This restaurant was built a hundred years and in every single war, it survived! Just shows how lucky we are to have it! Now help me clean up the ceiling."

Kira had just noticed the almost too quiet atmosphere in the house and feared for the worst, "Dad....where's Po?"

"Well I asked him to pick some roots and mushrooms up the hill. Can you believe it?! My son cooked for the Jade Palace! The only downfall is his poisonous result that made Shifu sick," he laughed heartedly, but as soon as he looks up, his daughter is not there anymore, "Kira? "

"Po?! ...Po! ..." the she calls out to him, but no one responds. A loud crash erupted on the east area from where she is facing and Kira immediately ran towards it, not hoping to find her brother there, "PO!!!"

"I know what I wanna do!!!" Someone shouted out loud, with a grunt of pain coming afterwards.

She quickly followed the sound and met her panda brother looking rather enthusiastic amidst the current disaster, "Po, what are you doing?! You could've been hurt, or worse, dragged into that battle!"

Po squeezed her shoulder in reassurance, "it's okay. Tigress and the others have defeated him. And guess what?" The girl didn't answer, "I wanna learn kung fu! That's my goal now!"

Kira sighed, feeling a bit unpleasant for worrying too much while he on the other hand is quite cheerful. She gently removes his hands, "Po, you know that's impossible..."

"But I will try to learn! Just you wait and see!--" she just smiled, not really wanting to encourage him further.

A few days after, Mr. Ping went out to get some more ingredients. Their shop is filled with almost all villagers lately and she wasn't getting enough sleep from her brother's ruckus on the other room, trying to learn kung fu. Kira insisted on looking after the shop today, one is to get a few yards away from her brother and two is to avoid any more food poisoning.

A yawn escaped from her, but immediately got interrupted by a loud voice of the next customer in line, "We'll order some noodles for two people please!" Kira looked at them with tired eyes, seeing the male monkey from a week before. Her eyes might be tired but she still got a good memory of other's faces.

"I'd also like some dumplings to go with that."

She glanced behind him, seeing only the bird. The girl only nodded, and started to prepare the bowl of noodles. Unsatisfied with her weary expression, the monkey tried to crack a joke, "It's good that we can get real noodles today."

Kira looked up to the boy. She's not exactly obliged to reply, but felt like she needs to in order to not embarrass him, "Why? Are you not eating anything real these past few days?"

"Oh, we do eat fake noodles. We call it 'IMPASTA'!" he laughed at his own joke, almost making her smile..... almost. She's got to admit, his joke wasn't funny at all, but his laugh can bring anyone around. Not a minute passed and he created another conversation, "Sorry for delaying your work, but I really have something important to tell you. Did you hear?" he signalled for her to come closer in order to hear it, "about the chef on the other village?" Kira leaned her head near the kitchen window and waited for him to continue, but he pulled away for her so she'd not end up deaf, "HE PASTA WAY!"

The customers near the kitchen groaned in annoyance but the girl still giggled at his silliness and finishes their order, "Why do you tell these jokes to me?"

"Because...." Monkey paused for a bit, "you seemed like you needed it."

Kira was surprised that he'd even care, and ended up showing a smile for the thoughtful guy.

"Hey, Monkey! Stop flirting with the chef and come here!" Crane yelled towards him.