"I've read a lot of werewolf books," he shrugged. "I don't know how accurate they are..."

"Well, most of them are right about that..." I trailed off, and hesitated for a moment. "So, you understand that you're supposed to be with me for the rest of your life?"

"Yeah, I got the idea," he breathed out. "I just don't know what to do with that information. This is the first time you are talking with me, after all..."

"I could just reject you and that's it," I said carefully.

"Let's not make any drastic decisions now," he chuckled. "Like you said, let's wait and see what happens."

"So you... wouldn't mind...?" I trailed off.

"Well it depends," he said looking like he was thinking really hard. "What kind of privileges does the Alpha's mate have? Money and fame?"

I stared at him for a moment, until I realized he was just messing with me. "You think you're so funny..." I muttered, and he laughed lightly.

"I used to joke around a lot before... Well, back in the day," he said, and his mood changed. His smile turned timid, and I could feel a hint of... fear?

I stepped closer, and leaned against the fence as well. "Back in the day, huh...?"

"Yeah..." he muttered.

I wasn't sure if I should bring it up, but... "You know... Traumatic incidents can cause memory loss..."

"Yeah... That could be it," he breathed out. "But I'm freezing, and you don't want to be seen with me, so you should go now."

"That's not true – I just don't want to make your life harder," I hurried to say.

"Honestly? I don't care, and people are already talking," he said and took a few steps back. "Besides, I don't really see how things would get harder for me."

I watched him turn his back on me. Suddenly, I wasn't ready to let him go, not like this. Not when he was clearly feeling bad. I looked around hastily, making sure there was no one around to hear me.

"You said you've read a lot of werewolf books," I then spoke, and he turned to look at me. "And you still thought we were aliens. You didn't even mention werewolves – not even once!"

He started laughing. "You're not letting that one go, are you?"

"Nope," I said, and he stopped walking. "I was a wolf, for crying out loud! How did you not think about werewolves?"

"Because that would've been way too awesome," he said with a smile, waved at me, and continued walking to the front door.

I watched him get inside, before I let out a long breath and started making my way back to school. At least he was feeling better now, but I knew I was right. About the traumatic event. Something bad happened to him. Back in the day.

*****

Tilly and Arch kept smirking at me the entire time until we arrived at school the next morning. Ever since I returned to them after talking with Oliver, they hadn't talked about it much, but they had that annoying look on their faces. The 'I told you so' look. I just ignored them.

At school, I could tell Oliver was there already. It didn't take me long until I found his scent, but I decided to ignore it. Classes were about to start anyway. I thought again about what he said yesterday, that his life wouldn't get any worse if he was seen with me. It had been crossing my mind often last night. Oliver didn't have any friends – none whatsoever – so what was I afraid of?