xiii → sailing away

It was taking a little longer for someone to answer Edmund's knock at the door and he found himself leaning from left to right on each foot. He had discovered something that most definitely has all the answers to the questions he's been asking not only to himself but to his brother Peter. When the door finally opens, Edmund gets straight to the point.

"(R/2), I found something and I..."

Edmund stops speaking. He almost stops breathing. The beautiful woman in front of him had gotten even more beautiful than when he had seen her last. Her hair. It wasn't the color he's always seen, but rather a different shade. A new shade. Or, more accurately, an old shade.

"It's my natural color." (R/2) smiles, after seeing Edmund so fascinated by her hair, "Do you like it?"

"You look beautiful." Edmund breathes, "Even more than usual."

(R/2) blushes slightly.

"What is it that you wanted to tell me?" She asks.

Edmund suddenly remembers the reason why he had come here in the first place. He moves his hands forward to show (R/2) the book he had found at Peter's bed, and he asks if she would like to read it with him. At first, she's concerned about privacy, but after Edmund mentions that it would be a better opportunity for them to understand why Peter has been acting the way he has recently, she gave in.

The two of them sit down on her doorstep with the book in-between them both. Edmund holds one side of the book and (R/2) holds the other side. With each word they read and each page they turn, all of Peter's recent emotions become clear. Of course, it was already clear that Peter was acting as such because of his love for (R/1) and how-- when she was trying to work towards her marriage with Edmund-- it was impossible for them to be together.

But no wonder he was so glum. If I found a book written about me and Edmund falling in love before we kissed, it would have driven me insane as well, (R/2) thinks. And the very fact that it was (R/1) who had written it must have made it worse. And, (R/2) now realizes, it would have gotten even worse upon finding that (R/1) had left to book behind when she was never to return.

Never? Well, (R/2) thinks (R/1) won't come back. What would there be to come back to? And (R/1) doesn't even know how much has already changed since she left with Caspian. If she knew, maybe she wouldn't be sailing away. Edmund seems to be much more indulged with the story than she, even though she feels warm by the words written. (R/2) smiles softly to herself as she watches Edmund's eyebrows furrow as he concentrates on each word. Watching Edmund read could cure a broken heart. 

"We have to find my brother." Edmund says after the two of them finish the book, "He has to know that he has a chance. We have to stop (R/1) from leaving."

xxx

Edmund and (R/2) had looked for Peter in every place they could think of until finally, they had found him by the river that they had all gone to for their picnic. He was staring out at the water, but he was barely moving. He was still like a statue.

"Peter, what are you doing?" Edmund asks, walking towards his brother.

Peter turns slowly to see Edmund walking over to him. But he doesn't say anything. 

"I'm fine. You don't have to think about me." Edmund says.

There is still no response from Peter. Edmund almost wonders if he is even paying attention to him right now.

"(R/1) is leaving." He presses, "We have to go now. Can't you see what's happening? She's leaving. We have to go now."

"Peter, listen to Edmund." (R/2) says, standing further up in the grass.

Peter finally moves and it's when he turns his head to look over at (R/2).

"It's not too late, Peter." Edmund says.

"Not if I ride fast." (R/2) smiles.

A short moment of silence passes between the three of them, and then finally Peter speaks.

"You look different, (R/2)." He says, "What did you do?"

xxx

Because Edmund had walked to (R/2)'s house, the two of them had ridden on her horse to look for Peter. And neither of them thought it would be wise to travel to the castle for another horse, as there would be no time to do so, which is why all three of them-- Peter, (R/2), and Edmund-- were riding on (R/2)'s horse as fast as she could allow her horse to go down to the docks.

As Caspian is a King, the news of his voyage was spread across the kingdom and majority of Narnia. For that matter, many people had gathered at the docks to wish him farewell and good luck on his travels. And when it's mentioned that many people were at the docks, it is a literal description. There were many at the docks.

In fact, there were so many people that it almost looked impossible to be able to squeeze through the crowd. There seemed like there was no gap in sight between each person gathered. But nevertheless, having already come this far, (R/2), Edmund, and Peter get off of (R/2)'s horse and dash down into the rowdy crowd.

The three of them push past all the people, but Peter was determined now. He had snapped out of his wallowing state as soon as he was riding on the back of (R/2)'s horse, and so now he pushes his way through the crowd with as much force as he can muster. He knows now more than ever that he's in love with (R/1) and he wants to be with her. And he will gladly strike down Caspian's ship if it meant that it was possible.

Edmund and (R/2) quickly lost Peter in the crowd, but they pushed on no matter. As they pass person after person with their hands waving in the air and their voices shouting out to Caspian, the two of them manage a spot close to the edge of the Dawn Treader. Caspian's crew were by the rails with their arms outstretched and waving back down to the crowd. Caspian was standing by a figure who was not waving, and as Edmund and (R/2) concentrate harder they realize that it is (R/1).

Excitedly, Edmund and (R/2) start to jump into the air; their hands waving above their heads to get her or Caspian's attention. But they might as well have not even tried, as the way that they are acting blends them within the crowd. And neither of their voices could shout louder than the noise of all the people.

The ship starts its course as it starts to sail away from the dock, and Edmund and (R/2) begin to shout even louder. They call out Caspian's and (R/1)'s name, waving even more frantically, but neither of them sees them. Not one of them notices Edmund or (R/2) as they run down the dock to follow the ship as it continues to sail away from the port. 

And then it's too late because the ship is getting further and further away and no one, not even one crew member, is looking back at the dock. Then Edmund and (R/2) get lost in the current of the crowd as the people push forward to the end of the dock, making Edmund and (R/2) become another face in the crowd.

It can't happen like this, Edmund thinks. There is no way that their story-- Edmund's, Peter's, (R/2)'s, and (R/1)'s-- can end like this. There has to be more. There has to be a change of plans, something so miraculous that everyone can live happily ever after. There just has to be.

But (R/1) never turns back. She doesn't look back at the dock, just for the sake of one last look, and she never sees Edmund and (R/2) calling out to her. 

Their story ends here.