iv → truths revealed

"You look very handsome, Edmund." (R/2) had said as she brushed her fingers through his dark brown hair.

He wasn't exactly paying attention until he had heard his name, and then instantly looked up at her when he realized she had used the word 'handsome' in the same sentence. It was easy for him to think that she meant it as a compliment aside from just being nice, but he remembered where they were and why she had said it in the first place.

Edmund was sitting on the steps in the courtyard with (R/2) standing in front of him. She was cutting his hair for his wedding day. His wedding day. He didn't want to have to say, or even think, those words.

(R/2) had originally asked why Edmund wanted to be outside when she cut his hair-- as he already has a room in the castle that is used for such treatments-- but Edmund said he rather the fresh air. In all honesty, he merely needed a place where he could distract himself. Outside seemed to fit the preference.

"(R/1) is going to be so impressed." (R/2) continued, her smile lighting up.

Edmund has always thought that her smile is brighter than the sun. He was going to thank her for the compliment, but at the mention of (R/1)'s name, he kept his mouth shut.

"I'm so happy for you."

(R/2) took the comb from the pocket of her woven apron that she wears especially for when she does work that gets her hands dirty, so to speak. She's always loved cutting people's hair. She doesn't know why, but it's a fascination that developed when she was young. She brings the comb up and brushes back the hair on Edmund's head; her fingers occasionally sweeping through his strands to feel their length.

"Peter is happy for you, too." She speaks, "You don't know how important this is to him. He always said he wouldn't get married until you did. That's how much it means to him."

Edmund slowly looks up at (R/2) so as not to disturb her work with his hair. Peter said that he wanted me to get married before him? Edmund doesn't believe it. Peter has always been the type of guy that girls fawn over and he loves the attention. Why wouldn't he want to marry someone?

"It won't be long now before we're all married." (R/2) smiles, but Edmund can see the restraint behind her lips.

He hadn't noticed until now-- again getting lost in his thoughts-- but (R/2) had gotten closer to him. Her face was mere inches above his. And for some reason, he liked the intimacy.

"Won't that be wonderful?" She finishes.

"Yes, princess." Edmund smiles up at her.

She stills her hands by his head.

"(R/2), Edmund. It's (R/2). I'm not a princess."

It's true that she isn't of royal birth, but it was a nickname Edmund had given her when they had first met so many years ago. For some reason (R/2) never seemed to like it, but Edmund called her that whenever he wanted to make her feel special. And he wants her to feel special all the time.

xxx

"Did you give up your happiness for me?" Edmund asks as he steps into Peter's study.

His brother looks up from a map that is rolled out on the long wooden table in the middle of the room. His eyebrows furrow.

"What?" Peter asks.

"You waited for me to marry before you." Edmund explains as he steps closer, "(R/2) told me. Is it true?"

"No." Peter shakes his head as he looks down at the map again, "Besides, I have no idea what you're talking about."

Edmund takes another step closer to his brother.