iii → a love story

Letters are rare to arrive to this family in this part of the country, but nevertheless, the family was excited to see what had been sent to them. When they had seen who it was addressed to, they were overfilled with joy.

"Quickly, take this to your sister." Says the grandmother, placing the envelope in the boy's hands.

He nods and runs out of the house and down the cobblestone road. The townspeople all chuckle as they watch him leap over baskets and dodge horses. Where is he going in such a hurry? They must be thinking. But he doesn't tell them. No, he'll let his sister tell everyone.

It takes him a long time to make his way over to where his sister is as she's down by the rocky hills that outline the beach. He had to travel all the way from the town and past the well, across the field, and finally over to where she is.

"(R/1)!" Her brother calls.

She turns around to see him running down the hill over to her, and she places the last of the flowers into the basket that is hooked at her arm. When her brother reaches her, he holds his hand out to show her the envelope. She looks at him before she takes the envelope to read what it says. And she finds that it's addressed to her.

She sits down on the curve of the rocky hill and her brother sits down beside her with his legs crossed. He pokes her arm continuously for her to hurry and she shakes her head, smiling as she opens the envelope and takes the letter out from inside it.

As soon as she unfolds the letter, a sketch falls onto her lap. Her brother leans over to see as she takes the sketch in-between her fingers and looks at the handsome face drawn on the paper. Her heart almost stops as she looks at it and then she reads the letter.

"Edmund." She says to her brother after she has read the letter in its entirety.

"I like that name." Her brother smiles.

They both travel back home so that she can show the sketch to the rest of her family. She sits and peels potatoes as the sketch gets passed to each of her siblings and then each of her uncles and aunties. Her brother who gave her the letter nudges their grandmother softly for her to look. She doesn't seem too fascinated by the sketch at first until she focuses more intensely and she lets a breath escape her, holding her chest with a shaky hand.

There was much discussion about the man who had written her and all had asked if (R/1) was going to accept his proposal. But she wanted some time to think about it, and so her grandmother and she went outside to sit on the steps by their house.

"Your grandfather gave me this." Her grandmother says, holding a necklace with a trinket of a heart, "I want you to have it."

She takes (R/1)'s hand and places the necklace in it. The touch of it is cold, but to (R/1) it feels warm.

"I want it to remind you of the part of me that will be with you forever." Her grandmother finishes.

(R/1) looks at the necklace in her hands; her fingers brushing along the heart trinket.

"I don't want to leave you, grandmother." She says, looking back over at her.

Her grandmother nods gently. 

"Do you remember when I used to tell you stories when you were little and you believed every word?" She asks.

(R/1) nods with a smile. Her grandmother would tell her tales of when she was younger and when she met her grandfather, saying that he was a prince or even once a pirate. Even though the stories changed, (R/1) always believed them. There was a twinkle in her grandmother's eye every time she spoke.