v → no wedding bells

The docks were bustling with people with individual tasks to do. Whether that be to meet up with someone that they have not seen in a long time, or to ready themselves for a journey out to sea where they will not be coming back home for a long time. That was (R/1)'s case.

She stands on the dock with two bags at her side. She doesn't have many possessions and all that she really needs is her wedding dress, so she packed light. But the air was getting colder and she still did not see who she had been dreaming about throughout the journey here. Her hand raises to hold her shawl more tightly towards her chest and she breathes in a shaky breath.

In her other hand is the sketch of Edmund. She clings to it tightly, but still careful as to not damage the paper, and then she looks down at it. Her eyes wander over his face and so when she looks back up, she tries to see if she can spot him in the crowd. But there is still no sight of him.

Edmund and his two sisters, along with Caspian, quickly walk down the cobblestone road over to the docks. They had ridden their horses here and left them tied by the trees, so Edmund's appearance was out-of-sorts. His hair was disheveled by the wind and he had abandoned his cloak on Philip's saddle.

They stop by the beginning-- or the end on which way you look at it-- of the dock where (R/1)'s supposed ship was stationed. Caspian walks further down and asks some of the people who are walking if the ship is the same as the one they had been told about. He thanks those who give him a response and walks back over to the others.

"This is the ship." He says.

Susan pats Edmund on the shoulder as she steps beside him.

"Look." She says, pointing forward.

Edmund follows his sister's finger and sees (R/1) further down the dock. Her dress whips around in the seashore wind. She looks so lonely all by herself. Edmund cannot help but stare at her. What should he say? 

"Maybe Caspian should greet her." He says quietly.

"No, Edmund. You have to be the one." Susan corrects her brother.

Lucy steps beside him and places the small bouquet of flowers she had arranged into his shaking hands. She smiles at him and then gently presses his hand on his back, pushing him forward slightly. Edmund begins to walk over to (R/1) down the dock.

He keeps his focus on her-- sort of thinking that she might disappear if he looks anywhere else-- but she doesn't seem to notice him. Her eyes are looking for someone else. When he gets closer and she finally looks at him, he can see her stiffen as he walks further to stand directly in front of her.

"My lady, I am here to greet you." Edmund says, having to clear his throat slightly so that his voice doesn't break.

"Where is Edmund?" (R/1) asks, looking around.

His heart stops.

"(R/1)-- um, my lady... I am Edmund."

As soon as the words leave his mouth, someone drops a bundle of rope from the ship onto the dock. It makes a harsh slapping sound. Convenient, Edmund thinks. (R/1) raises her slightly shaking hand towards Edmund, showing him the sketch that he had sent her.

"That is not me." Edmund forces himself to say, "That is my brother, Peter."

(R/1) can't fathom what she has just been told. Susan, Lucy, and Caspian walk over to the two of them and stand behind Edmund. Caspian takes a step forward when (R/1) looks over at them all.

"My lady, there has been a slight misunderstanding." He says.

"I am Susan and this is Lucy," Susan says, stepping forward to hug (R/1) briefly.