vii → lies in the night

The nighttime air was quiet in the forest by the lake, except for the sounds of crickets or the leaves swaying in the gentle breeze. And also the occasional kissing noise, as (R/2) was lying on top of Peter in the grass. But he wasn't kissing her back.

"I thought you said everything was sorted out." (R/2) says as she pulls back and looks down at her boyfriend, who was being as emotionless as the rocks in the water.

"It is." Peter says, his numb hand on her waist suddenly gaining life again, "In a fashion. I told her all about you, but she still needs a little convincing."

"About me?"

"About Edmund."

Cricket noise. Peter raises one hand to place on (R/2)'s upper back and then he sits up, with her in his lap and her hands on his shoulders.

"Tomorrow we'll go for a picnic." Peter says, "I want you to meet her and pretend you really love me."

(R/2) leans back slightly and sighs almost as if she is in pain.

"I don't need to pretend, Peter." She says with an offense.

"I didn't mean it like that." Peter quickly says.

But (R/2) can see that he's avoiding direct eye contact and her heart begins to feel heavy.

"She's in love with you, isn't she?" (R/2) asks.

"How can she be in love with me?" Peter snorts, "(R/2), she's married to my brother."

When (R/2) doesn't say anything, Peter holds her close to him again. But she stiffens the moment his hands press on her waist.

"Did you know that your name and my name don't mean anything?" He asks, "Not like Edmund, for instance."

"And (R/1)." (R/2) finishes.

Peter hesitates and looks down. The woman in his lap isn't enjoying herself, as much as he had hoped a woman in his lap would. He looks back up at her and then with one hand, he takes hold of hers.

"Will you marry me?" He asks.

He's expecting her to smile. He's expecting her eyes to widen in happiness and for her to excitedly kiss him and say that she accepts. But her face doesn't shift.

"No." She says finally.

"No?" Peter almost shouts, "You've been driving me crazy!"

"Do you know what love is, Peter?"

"Of course I do." He scoffs, "Love is... love. That's what it is."

"It's wanting to be with someone."

"I want to be with you!" Peter insists.

"It's not being able to get them out of your head." (R/2) continues.

"I know that."

"It's dreaming about them."

"I dream about you!"

"And waking in the morning with their name on your lips."

"...That too." Peter says after a moment.

(R/2) shakes her head and moves her hand out of Peter's hold.

"If only I knew you loved me half as much as you love your brother, Peter." She says.

"He's my brother, (R/2)." Peter says, "He's my brother."

(R/2) shakes her head, looking at Peter like she's trying to locate a place on a map.