71

Just a thought..

"What happens to our consciousness when we die?

The current scientific framework tells us that consciousness is a by-product of the brain, that the brain creates consciousness through neural activity, and that the death of the brain is the death of consciousness. But consciousness isn’t the whole story.

Although questions about consciousness are probably some of the toughest that philosophy and science have ever argued, that isn’t the defining factor of life. Under general anesthesia, all consciousness stops but the patient undergoing surgery is very much alive. Many thinkers, both religious and scientific, have chosen to view consciousness as a spectrum rather than a switch which is either on or off.

In general, modern science views organisms as either more or less conscious, starting with the fundamental building blocks of life and evolving all the way up to the prefrontal cortex of human beings who are self-aware.

This is a critical concept in understanding the moment of death: What happens to “us,” or the self? If we take the view that consciousness stems from the brain, we simply cease to exist upon the moment of death. Time, experience, thought . . . everything that we know goes away.

We undergo the one thing that none of us has ever experienced in our lives—true timelessness, a concept so far removed from any human reality that it’s virtually meaningless to those of us who are alive."