Chapter 1: Everything Has Changed

The newly transformed Jim Lake Jr. took one last look at his family and friends staying behind in Arcadia. Sure, he was sad that he had to leave them behind as well as a bit nervous and unsure of what new obstacles lay ahead of him. However, he promised to come back. He knew he was coming back. There was no doubt in his mind. He didn't know how long it would be. No matter the case, he knew he would return home in the end. After taking in that last picture-perfect moment, he turned to catch up with Claire, Blinky, and the rest of the group as they head to New Jersey to find a new heartstone for the trolls.

Jim, without hesitation, took Claire's hand and grasped it tightly. Claire turned her head to look at him, seeing the sheer fright in his eyes. She could tell he was uneasy and that he was upset about leaving. He'd been through so much lately, not to mention he's now part troll. The mix of troll and human emotions all at once must drive him mad, not to mention he had to say goodbye to his mother after promising never to. Claire sighed, and then spoke, a little hesitant to ask.

"Jim?" Jim turned his attention towards Claire, then looked at how tightly he was grasping her hand. He started to speak, but then sighed and looked away. Claire took her other hand, took his arm, and hugged it tightly as they walked. "It's going to be okay."

"Yeah, I know..." Jim responded. He then began to think, and then spoke again. "Claire, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Do what? Go with you on this quest?" Claire asked.

"Yeah. That." Jim responded.

"Of course. Why are you asking?"

"Because you're leaving your friends...your mom and dad...I don't want to force you into anything you don't want to do."

"Jim, out of everything in my life, the worst thing I could think of is leaving you. I'm with you till the end." She said as she smiled.

"Well..." Jim said while having a loss for words from what Claire just said. He couldn't believe what he heard. He was so overjoyed he didn't know how to express it, and Claire could tell. "Wow...I..." Jim tried to say something back but had difficulty doing so. "Sorry, I'm not good at the whole romance thing. I might just start talking in Spanish again." Jim explained. Claire smiled back at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, I know a way you can be romantic without speaking Spanish."

"Really? How?" Jim asked before Claire cleared her throat and then spoke.

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea. My love as deep." Claire quoted from Romeo and Juliet. She knew he could respond to that.

"The more I give to thee, the more I have." Jim continued.

"For both are infinite." They said together as they then smiled as they gazed into each other's eyes. Claire then chuckled a little. Jim's face turned from happiness to confusion.

"What's so funny?" Jim asked her.

"You know, I think Romeo and Juliet just turned into Beauty and the Beast." Claire responded. Jim chuckled. He felt very lucky to have a girlfriend like Claire. Their love for one another really was infinite. No matter how he looked, she still loved him. He would never have imagined someone to like him with the way he looked. Sometimes, he even wished he could become human again. He missed being able to be in the sunlight. He missed eating normal food like tacos with Toby and steak with his mom and taking a ride on his now destroyed Vespa with Claire. His happy face turned into a sad one.

"So...on the school roof, when you said you loved me. You even love me as a troll?"

"Well, yeah. Even if you're a troll, you're still Jim Lake Jr., the same person I started dating a year ago."