Chapter 14 ✔️

Start from the beginning

I was just going turn the knob of the door, when Chase said the words, that rose the hair at the back of my neck, and my steps came to a halt.

"If you step out of the door Lexi, I will make sure to finish my task that Axel has assigned me."

My eyes widened in horror and I gasped out in shock. Turning behind I looked back at him, my eyes still in the shape of saucers.

"Chase!"

"You know me Lexi, from the time when I was still a child. But what you don't know is to what extent I changed when you all left me, to cope up with your own miseries," he spat out venomously.

I was still beyond shock to say anything.

"And I wont hesitate to eliminate any threat that lies in my path. You know very well how badly I need the child and Sarah is the perfect one I have been looking for years. You know that Andrew has been eating my brains out for years for the marriage and love bullshi, and you know very well what happened to him and Hades for this so-called 'Love'!" He harshly shouted out in rage.

As soon as Chase took the name 'Hades', old memories came crashing back to me. The painfully dreadful memories I had been trying to bury deep down inside me. The memories where my heart was weighed down with the feelings of guilt and shame for my deeds. The memories that had haunted me since that day, the incident happened.

My legs wobbled slightly and I grabbed the door to steady myself. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes and bit my lower lip hard. Pushing those memories at the corner of my head I looked back at Chase. His eyes held little regret but were cold as ice.

This was not the boy we raised up. Sure the mafia world was filled with cruelty and utter deep shit. There was no space for softness or weaknesses in our world and we had learned our lesson in the hard way. But I expected he would atleast stay lenient towards his dear ones.

"Chase, how can you? I told you how much Robert and Sarah means to me and you are threatening 'me' with his name?" I whispered out, by voice almost cracking.

"I have to Lexi. If anything I have learnt from my father is that weaknesses can lead to utter destruction. And I have lost my weakness 9 years ago. I cant afford to grow another, and let it destroy me and my kingdom, my men and my world too. Here, I'm the King and everyone listens to me. Everyone." His deep voice held so much authority that no one could dare to refuse him.

"And why are you even against this? You told me few minutes ago that Robert is the man whom you always talked about in letters. The man you 'love'. And as per as I rememberd you also wrote there that he had a daughter who you adore like your own child, and you will love to see us together. You always wanted me and Sarah to be together and I'm just fulfilling your wishes." He taunted me, his lips drawned up into a mocking smirk.

"It isn't the same Chase!" I yelled out in frustration.

"When I wrote about Sarah, I wanted you two to be like my sister and Andrew. I wanted you two to be in love with each other. I wanted the special woman who will hold your heart, to be Sarah because she held that power within herself to illuminate any darkness. She is filled with so much energy and liveliness that she can color up anybody's dark life."

My eyes were fixed at him and as soon as I finished my statement I saw he lost his smirk and a sudden longing came in his eyes. He looked down and had his eyebrows furrowed, in a deep thought.