Prologue

I pulled up to the huge house in my grey Ashton Martin vantage v8 and stepped out wearing my favorite black steampunk dress. It fit the occasion as I was arriving at a house party and I was trying to show off my long legs. I saw couples that were already drunk, scattered on the lawn making out or puking. From the street, you could hear cheers from the teenagers in the house and the blaring music. I'm surprised the neighbors haven't called the cops on them yet.

The music was blasting at least halfway down the block currently blaring check yes, Juliet by We The Kings

The music was blasting at least halfway down the block currently blaring check yes, Juliet by We The Kings. My mom was gone again and I wanted to have a little fun before her overbearing watchful eye was on me once again. Her job constantly took her away from me, she says she's an art critic but, I suspect otherwise because we are filthy rich. With her work, there is no way that she can, legally, earn so much money.

When my sister Kailey-Eve, went missing in October, my mom started working her ass off to buy a bigger, nicer house in a better area so that the same wouldn't happen to me. Kailey turned up a month later but the authorities weren't able to figure out who murdered her. Sadly she looked eerily similar to me, therefore, every time I look in the mirror, I'm reminded of her disappearance and the resemblance between us. She had auburn hair and the most beautiful, sparkling green eyes.

My mom distanced herself from me because of the uncanny looks Kailey and I shared. Her way of coping was becoming a workaholic, whereas, I distanced myself from everyone I knew. I started having anger issues and my mom made me join a gym. She hired me a trainer which increased my strength and I got into the habit of going to the gym to train whenever I got angry or frustrated. However, I also started to go to parties and drank a lot to forget the shit that was happening in my life. Call me careless but, this was my escape.

I walked through the door of the mansion and a wave of alcohol and sweat drifted around me. I came tonight to forget and enjoy the night like no other. I plowed through the crowd to get to the kitchen in the back, where the drinks would be. I got to the counter in the kitchen and found the alcohol. I stood leaning against the counter as I downed two cups of beer and proceeded to toss three shots of tequila and two of vodka into my mouth, in mere minutes might I add. They burned my throat but, I kept tossing them back. At this point, I was pretty tipsy and I found my way onto the dance floor.

"Whooooo," I screamed and followed the flow of the music. I was approached by some guys and handed another cup of beer.

That was all I remembered from last night. I woke up on the pool table with my dress around my waist and my stockings ripped, at some point, I lost one of my shoes. I bolted upright and fixed my dress but aggravated an already extremely painful migraine. I took off the remainder of my stockings and tossed them aside and then set out to find my missing shoe.

After gathering my belongings and collecting my thoughts enough, I grabbed my phone and called for a car. As I put my password in, a video popped up, I pressed play. Immediately the song Kream by Iggy Azalea was being blasted through my phone's speakers then, the camera swung to where I was standing on the pool table. I was dancing like a stripper and slowly peeling the dress off my shoulders, I began to play with the straps of my bra, I pulled them down a little then brought them back up to my shoulders and let them snap onto my skin. I released the breath I didn't realize I was holding. The camera showed that I continued to dance through the song and I even started to pull the bottom of my dress off until a senior wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me down. I kicked and screamed for him to put me down. When he did I crawled back on top of the pool table and curled into a ball, evidently, that's how I passed out, then the video ended. My mouth was slightly agape as my car pulled up to get me.

20 minutes later the car pulled up to my house, I paid for the ride and approached my house. The door was slightly ajar and someone was breathing unsteadily. I kicked the door open only for it to slam into Cole's head, he groaned louder. Cole is my step-dad. My mom got remarried to him after she found my dad, Joseph Harris, was cheating on her with some slut named Sheila. Cole was a nice guy, at first. After the marriage, he took off his mask and was the biggest jackass ever. He would slap my mom when he thought I wasn't around and couldn't hear. He screamed and yelled at her for the smallest things. Sometimes it's because she didn't buy him his beer other times she didn't do his laundry the way he wanted her to. I poked my head around the door to see, he was lying on the floor in a pool of blood. The whole main level was trashed and Cole was bleeding from his stomach and the right side of his chest. I moved my hands over his wounds and put pressure on them then remembered mom wasn't going to be home for another week.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit," I mumbled. I fumbled around with my phone trying to dial '911' but the blood kept smudging on my screen. Once I finally got the numbers punched in and told them to send an ambulance to our address, Cole had nearly stopped breathing.

He began to close his eyes and drift into an eternal sleep, "You son of a bitch, you can't die, my mom just found you and for whatever reason, she loves you more than anything else in her life. She may still be mourning my sister but she won't be able to handle another death of someone she loves." Mom was still suffering and I didn't know how long she would be able to hold out if Cole was ripped out of her life too.

Just then Cole squeezed my hand with the last bit of strength he had left and said, "tell your mother I'm sorry and that I love her. Tell her not to mourn me too much and to move on and find happiness in the time she has left. Goodbye Jayden, live your life and don't do things you'll regret." I shed a tear, a single tear for the bastard that beat my mom.

When the ambulance arrived Cole was already gone. I would have to figure out a way to tell my mom when she came back home. Maybe I could convince the paramedics or police to call her and tell her the unlucky news. 

A few days after Cole's death and my mom had rushed home to be by herself to "grieve". In actuality, she was in her room catching up on paperwork and drowning her sorrows by downing cups of coffee, one after the next. With my dad cut out of mom's life, she had no other men to look after or to be taken care of by so, that job was up to me. I would bring her meals and clean the dishes. I had nothing to grieve over the loss of Cole, I never had a strong connection or any connection with him at all. I didn't want to, he wasn't my father and I wasn't going to start listening to him like he was.

After Cole's death and Kailey's disappearance, a lot of things changed. My behavior was aggressive and my mom grew more distant and bossy. Things would get better eventually when we were done mourning the losses of our family. We only have each other left in this world and I was not about to take that for granted.