Chapter 2

All I ever heard from that day on was pity for me and gossip about my family. The women who passed by on the street would make comments about me like, "Oh that poor motherless girl" or "she must get lonely sometimes, with her sister gone and mother dead." I felt pity for weeks. I couldn't stand it. 

I ditched life for the day and went to the gym. When I was walking out something caught my eye; the pretty posters on the rickety bulletin board by the door. They were almost too bright and happy, didn't any of them know that my mother had just died. I moved on down the hall, closer to the door. On the dull walls that were used for announcements, there was one sheet that stood out; a dazzling blue poster with a camera cropped on it. It was for a photography club.

Photography

For: Photographic artists

When: 2:00 pm Friday the 13th

Why: To make friends, learn techniques, and go on life-changing adventures

Where: The first meeting will be held in San Jose at The Rose Garden

You could tell that it was written by a 16-17-year-old. But I didn't get distracted by the way it was written, it was the photographs. There were so many that were beautiful examples of what you could do in the club. There was no entry fee, so to join I would have to bring my own equipment. I was presented with an opportunity and I planned on taking it.

***

"Hello? Is this Jade?" The BookShelf Café manager asked.

"This is her. Might I ask who this is?" I continued.

"This is the manager of BookShelf Café. We are sorry to say that you don't qualify for the job. A young woman presented herself earlier. We made our final decision and chose her, I'm sorry." the BookShelf manager informed me.

I was disappointed that I didn't get the job, but it was understandable. It wasn't like my life depended on it.

"It's ok, I completely understand. Thank you for letting me know." I said in a disappointed voice.

Thank the Lord I had a plan B.

***

"Hello? I was wondering if I could schedule a meeting for the job opening." I asked the woman over the phone.

"Yes, of course! We are desperate for workers, but we still won't take just anyone. The timing depends on your behalf. What time can you come in for a meeting? We will work with the time that is available to you." The woman replied in a kind voice that was thick with an Australian accent."

"I was hoping to come in maybe a week or two from today. Of course, items on my schedule could move around a bit and I will let you know when I have an exact time that I can come in."

"Alright, let me know when you believe you have found an exact time to plan it for so that the opening will still be available for you when you come."

***

I wanted to escape and never come back but, at the same time, I wanted to kick and punch holes into every undamaged wall that enclosed me into this life. I turned around and went back to continue working on my right and left hooks in the gym. As I began to leave this time, I went back to the shabby bulletin board to get the flyer for the photography club. When I looked at it to double-check the information on the location and requirements, I saw that it was on the western side of California. This might be a long journey, I thought to myself.

As I slowly wandered my way back towards the house, I heard the faint sound of laughter in the distance. It sounded like men, a lot of them, celebrating. But who would have a party in the middle of the night? I continued on my way, but the laughing kept growing stronger and louder. Was I going the right way? Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Why was I still walking? For some reason, I couldn't stop but when I had a clear view of the men, I crouched behind a pile of garbage and boxes. Why was I here? Why couldn't I move? I looked around the area and found the source of my fear, the reason my body refused to let me move. On the wall of the brick building, there were faces. Faces of people, women, that were dead, these women were recently murdered. Their deaths were eaten up by the news reporters that were desperate to make a story. As I looked through the line of pictures, I saw that most were young women, like me. Some were women that were old enough to be my mother.

Then I spotted what I was unknowingly looking for. Kailey-Eve, she was up on the wall, so was my mother. I was so confused, my head was spinning, it gave me a migraine. Leaving as quietly as I came, I went back to the house. All the women up on the wall looked to be my age. What were those men after? What did they want with those women? And Why!?

I unlocked the door to the house and locked it behind me. I climbed up the staircase which felt like it would never end. I just wanted to crawl into my bed and rest. Upon entering the room, I found my roommate, Cierra Blu, fast asleep. Of course, she had left all of the lights on, most likely because she was worried sick about me. Over the month after my mother's death, I put an advertisement out requesting a roommate. Cierra had applied and we got along instantly, she has become my family. I knew I wouldn't ever get another mother or sister, so I had to adapt and make friends. I had to become flexible and learn to open up to people who were trying really hard to keep me from falling apart every day. 

I already feel guilty for deciding to leave Fresno tomorrow. Maybe I could convince her to come with me. I know she doesn't like it here either. Besides, we both turn 20 in less than a month, July, and will have to get a job so we don't run out of money. We might as well start a new life somewhere where we both wouldn't get judged for what happened to us. What better time to start a new life than now?