The Search for Proof

The next day, after I had taken a shower, I wore a cyan tee and black pants, with my pair of Air Jordan Vs. I packed my things and got ready to leave that afternoon. Laurie helped me with packing.

"Thanks, Laurie," I said as I approached her for a hug. "You're the best sister I wish I could have."

"Take care, buddy," she said. "You aren't as bad for a brother as well," I let go, but she held me on the shoulders.

"So, is this goodbye for us?" I asked her.

"Goodbyes are permanent. In our case, it's more of a temporary distance, y'know? Our roads will cross paths again, I'm sure. We will continue making memories after."

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too."

----------

I bid my final farewell to Laurie, and soon enough I was on the road again, driving the unbearable length of silence. I had no music to amuse me, since my iPod and phone are both dead.

The first few minutes were okay, I guess. It was after the first hour that the road had begun to lull me to sleep. With no one to talk to my eyes began to load, becoming heavier and heavier every minute. The end result is that I'd stop every now and then, trying to regain my consciousness.

I stopped for gas at around three hours. God, I'm not driving for three hours alone again.

I arrived at Riverhills at around six in the evening. I headed straight to Ms. Zelia's place, hoping I'd see Isabella there.

I knocked on her door and waited for an answer. A few minutes later Ms. Zelia came out, talking to someone on the phone. She wore a dark pink gown, but wore no make-up and had her hair in a mess.

Ms. Zelia stood silent. She looked like she had just woken up, she looked like a mess.

"You look like a mess," I teased. She slapped me in the face. Hard.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Kara, he's here. He's not lost. I'm hanging up," she said as she did just that. "Do you know just how worried we were?!"

Oh right. I forgot to tell them I'd be leaving.

"Kara said they came to visit you with the door unlocked! Why couldn't you just have taken the time to tell anyone you would be leaving?"

"Hey, my phone was dead, and Ridgewood was a five-hour drive and-"

"Ridgewood?!" She cut me off mid-sentence. "What were you doing in Ridgewood?!"

"I drove Laurie there, sheesh."

Ms. Zelia took in a deep breath. "Well, at least you're okay." We stood there silent until she decided to change the topic. "The dance is tonight. Are you ready?"

"Not quite, my tuxedo is here."

"Oh, right."

"And one more thing. Where's Isabella?"

Ms. Zelia took me in and had me settled on the couch. "I'll get her," she said as she went upstairs. "Isabella!" She called out. I heard her open a door upstairs. "Hey, Harley is here-oh no."

I looked back to the staircase behind me.

I heard frantic steps headed downstairs. The sight of a panicking Ms. Zelia came to be. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Isabella's not here."

"Did she go out today?"

"Yes."