A Christmas Gift

I celebrated Christmas with only Laurie. My friends had all celebrated it with their respective families, making them unavailable for a little get-together. Christmas had made me and Laurie homesick, as we wished we could have visited our families. But sometimes we are used to things going our way, and we fail to move just in the knick of time to actually get what we wanted.

Laurie and I roasted a turkey together. We were only able to consume half of it, until Ms. Zelia came into our small party.

"May I stay?" She asked, peering through the door. She wore a red hoodie with black leggings, her Vans sneakers matching the color of her top.

I immediately let her in and Laurie offered her a seat. "Merry Christmas," Laurie and I greeted. She was a friend of mine, and my teacher after all. She's always welcome in my house.

Once we sat down, we offered her a plate and spoon and fork. "Where's Isabella?" I asked.

"She said she'd spend today with her father," she replied.

"Maybe it's best if you let her spend it with him alone," Laurie reminded. This was the time that I knew I had to disobey Laurie. I had to give Isabella something, just a little something as a token of my appreciation, for everything she has ever done for me. But this idea lingered in my head as I kept my mouth shut, just waiting for the two of them to leave before I go to Isabella and just sneak a small gift.

After Laurie left and went to a post office to send a letter to her family, and Ms. Zelia left to go home, I went and bought a Red Ribbon cake. I drove my Jazz to Riverhills Medical and told the receptionist I'd be visiting Mr. Parr. I was let in and I went to the room Isabella and I once went in together.

I knocked once, and opened the door for a peep inside. I saw Isabella sleeping by her father's side, and her father still seemed unconscious. I went inside slowly, placing the cake on the table parallel to the bed. I took a notepad and pen from my pocket and wrote to Isabella.

"Merry Christmas, and wishing your father a speedy recovery. Hope you like this cake. -HC"

I left the pad and pen there as I began to walk towards the door when I heard a grunt. I turned to look back and noticed Isabella's father move his fingers slightly. I thought that he was waking up. I immediately grabbed the phone beside him and began to call for help when he grabbed hold of my hand. I jumped with surprise.

"No," he ordered.

I hung up the phone and stared at him.

"I've been awake since yesterday," he added.

"Oh, well, uh," I stuttered, not really sure what to say. "I hope you have a speedy recovery."

He let go of my hand and eyed me for a while before I walked towards the door.

"You know, she talked about you a lot since yesterday."

"She did?" I said, stopping in my tracks and turning back at him. "What did she say?"

"That she had the most wonderful time with you. She just wished she could tell you how happy she was yesterday, but she felt bad about pushing you away so she decided against talking to you." He told me. "She hasn't been this happy since... you know, the thing with me and her mother. And I added concerns to her when I tried commit suicide," he added.

"How'd you know she was pertaining to me?"

"She showed me a picture you two."

I recalled that moment. Before we could leave the mall after we bought the Tiffany dress, Kara wanted to take a shot of us, being happy and all. Isabella offered her phone to Kara, and Kara prepared for the shot. I was hesitant, but as Isabella put her arm around me and smiled for the picture, I found myself unable to look at the camera and instead I looked at her smile. I didn't realize I was smiling too.

"Thank you, for being there for her even if she pushed you away," he thanked.

"I will always be," I said, then left.