45| Open Your Eyes

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?" Josh raised an eyebrow as we stood outside the bedroom door.

"I don't think something is right." I lowered my voice. They are both protective parents that would never miss a phone call from a babysitter in case something was wrong with Bonnie, if Laura's phone dies Mark ensures that his is fully charged.

"Don't worry, they probably just didn't hear the phone ring and will call you back as soon as they notice." Josh reassured me.

"Yeah, I know. I can't help thinking the worst-" I was cut off by the vibration of my phone, followed by my ringtone.

"See, What did I tell you?" Josh looked down at the phone as I answered the call.

"Hollie? Is everything okay with Bonnie?" Mark sounded stressed and I could hear faint muttering in the background, but it didn't sound like a party. "I was going to call you."

"She wants to hear Laura's voice, she woke up with a nightmare and I know that just a quick conversation will settle her again. I'm sorry for calling-" I suddenly cringed, I shouldn't have called for something as minor as a nightmare. But she had been distraught.

"Laura can't get to the phone."

What?

"Sorry, What did you say?" My eyes glanced up to Josh and he frowned back at me. Marks voice was emotionless and he sounded like he had been crying. "Mark?"

"She is n-not able to get to the phone." The line went quiet before he eventually said, "She was taken into to hospital, I am there now waiting for an update."

Josh's eyes widened and he kissed me on the forehead quickly before slipping back into Bonnie's bedroom, probably to distract her as I try to calm down Mark.

God, I love him.

"What happened? Is she okay?"

"She collapsed on me, flat out before she'd even had one drink. She had a seizure so we called an ambulance, I didn't know what to do but now I'm being told I'll have to stay here overnight. They won't let me see her. I swear- I should have taken her to see the doctor sooner. I shouldn't have listened to her. I shouldn't have listened-" Mark sounded on the verge of tears, his voice straining. I could tell that he was now pacing the ER as he was beginning to pant.

I stayed silent. He sounded like he needed to get things off his chest and I was going to let him to exactly that.

"I fucking hate hospitals, the just give off this bad vibe," he added after I gave him a second to breathe, "they wouldn't keep her overnight unless it's bad, right?"

"Don't think like that, it's not going to do any good. Are you okay?" I asked.

"I don't know." he answered honestly. He was silent for a second before suddenly deciding, "I'm coming over to look after Bonnie. I can't stay here overnight. I'll go crazy."

"Okay." I didn't want to push him further, as tempting as it was to ask more questions. I could tell that he was edging on delirious; I couldn't blame him.

"Pass me over to Bonnie would you?" Mark asked and I stepped through the doorframe, sitting down on the edge of her bed so that I could pass her the phone. She was smiling now; Josh is good at the art of distraction...I should know.