Chapter Seventeen: Why the Rush?

Start from the beginning

"You've been hanging out with him a lot," I observed.

"Yeah," Raymond said quietly. "It's like the time never affected him."

"How lucky..."

"He said that he was glad we're still good friends," Raymond said. "I just wanted to keep that up for him. Unless you want him to believe otherwise."

I didn't say anything.

"We never got to really talk about what happened between us. When you stopped getting-"

"Don't," I said. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Oh," he muttered, taking a moment. "Wrong time and place?"

"Wrong everything," I snapped. "There's nothing to talk about anymore. You're bringing up unwanted memories." I have enough in my mind as is.

He wore a pained expression. Though it looked more frustrated than anything.

"Don't give me that look. I know what you want to say, but I don't want to hear it. At this point, it's an insult." I shook my head. "Believe me, Raymond. There are times when I want to watch the world burn."

Raymond turned and stared at me.

"But that just means I should burn with it," I said quietly.

"Why are you pretending everything is okay with him?" He huffed. "Unlike with those three?"

"Because it's different with him. Dominic can actually figure it out," I muttered before glancing at him. "And I could ask the same thing with you. Only, what I'm really surprised about is-"

"Why I'm working with you on this?" Raymond let out a soft laugh. "Because I have just as much to lose."

"Mutually assured destruction," I mused.

"From the Cold War right?" Dominic said as he approached us. "I did pretty well in the AP US History test," he said proudly.

"Take care of that ego of yours," Raymond said with a snort. "You're with someone who probably set the curve."

"You?" Dominic and I accused in unison.

"What? No. Of course not." He tsked. "Nevermind."

"Anyway, I've been looking for you. Good thing I tried to look for Naomi instead. You guys never seem to stray too far from each other."

"As if," Raymond said. "Though now that I think of it, why aren't those other guys with you?"

"Believe it or not, we're not conjoined to the hip. They don't have to be with me everywhere I go."

"It sure feels like that all the time," Dominic huffed. "Trying to keep me away from you," he cooed as he leaned on my shoulder, reminding me of our height difference.

"So what did you want from me?" Raymond asked,

"I want you to actually do your work," Dominic said, playfully punching Raymond's shoulder. "We have that literature project and you haven't done your share of the research."

"You don't know that," Raymond defended. "I have already done plenty of-"

"What are the reference requirements?"

"Well, they're obviously... something... "

"Who's the author?"

"Her name-"

"His," Dominic corrected. "Do you even know what the prompt is?"

"I'm gonna go now," Raymond said quietly, his head hung in defeat. "I'll go hit the library. For once..."

As we watched Raymond melt into the crowd, Dominic sighed. "I didn't have the heart to tell him that there's no point in going to the library if he doesn't know what he has to do in the first place. But it serves him right."

"I thought the due date isn't until a month from now. Why the rush?"

Dominic just grinned at me, making me understand his thoughts.

"Y'know, the last time I saw you was when I gave you and Jordan a ride," Dominic said wistfully. "How was that for you?"

I winced at the memory. A lot has happened since then.

"He was out of line," I told him. "I'd like to apologize on his behalf."

"I'll take it," Dominic said with a shrug. "I'm afraid what he would do if I'd make him apologize to me in person. Not that I'm that petty though."

"Well..." I said in sing-song, giving him a thoughtful look at what he did to his project partner.

"That was one time," Dominic said with a laugh. "If anything, I feel flattered. He sees me as a threat." He laughed evilly, posing in a mocking way.

I laughed with him. "You're ridiculous. Anyway, I have to go to my next class."

But then I paused. I don't know what led me to say this, as if a parting warning, but I told him, "Any other person would be terrified to be in your position." I've seen it firsthand.

"Regardless of the stories that may surround those three," Dominic told me. "They're still human."

Those words seem to hit me until something actually hit me. Standing in a bustling hallway was bound to create trouble when some guy bumped into me.

"Watch it, Lorraine," he growled at me.

No, please. Not here. Not now.

"Sorry, it was my fault," I stammered out, smiling at him.

Just take my apology and leave.

He tsked. "Whatever. If I were you, I'll keep sticking with those guys and-"

"And what?" Declan asked calmly, appearing next to him.

The guy froze and looked away. "N-Nothing."

"Then keep walking."

He quickly melted into the crowd as fast as he came from it. Declan gave a sideways glance at Dominic who witnessed the whole scene. I was worried that he'll start something. But instead, Declan took my books to carry them for me and motioned his head telling me we should go. With that, we walked away from Dominic.

Only I had to turn back to see Dominic still watching us.

Still watching me.

Happy New Year!

A lot has happened this year. Though, not so much for my writing progress for this book. Admittedly, I felt rusty writing and it took a while being able to pick up speed when writing this chapter. There weren't a lot of updates but know that school always comes first. However, I hope to be more mindful in my writing and do better next year.

I would also like to add that I'm an ally of the LGBTQ community. I hope I did not offend anyone as I know that everyone's experience is different. As I was a survivor of bullying, I can make my works based on my own feelings and experiences and therefore have it represent the bullied community, but I cannot do the same in Lynn's subplot as I can only sympathize, not empathize, and it cannot be a representation of the LGBTQ community but a contribution. I love Lynn and I hope to keep an eye out on her my Cuberteers (ha ha, how can a name be so cute and so lame at the same time.)

Also, I'm so excited about what's to come! A lot of spicy things are waiting for you! I hope your hearts can take it!

Have a great year! May your blessings come or continue at 2019 and beyond! Be happy, healthy and awesome!

Love,

Rubix