Chapter Seventeen: Why the Rush?

Start from the beginning

Those words shifted to another experience. Something that ended recently but its damage still burns against me.

"But you can't stare back at them," I muttered.

"Every word is judged."

"Every action is torn apart."

"You want to fit in."

"You'll do anything to fit in."

"You have to fit in," we both said together.

The silence hung in the air until Lynn broke it with a huge sigh of relief.

"I was really worried that our friendship went down the... toilet." She paused, perhaps horrified by her poor choice of wording but we both laughed nonetheless.

"Can we hug?" Lynn asked before smirking. "As proof that you're okay with this? With me?"

I laughed at how she had to ask me that. "Of course, silly."

Just as we pulled each other into a big bear hug, the front door abruptly opened.

The woman, whom I assumed was Lynn's mother, dropped the groceries on the ground.

Lynn pushed me away at the sight of her parents.

"Don't overreact," Lynn warned her parents.

"Lillian," her mother began softly. "How dare you bring your lifestyle into our own home."

"You can't call it a lifestyle mom," Lynn said through gritted teeth. "I told you to stop calling it a that!"

"Why do you have to keep bringing these people into our own home?" Her father demanded as Lynn grabbed my jacket, put it in my hands and started leading me out of the house. "I thought we were in agreement that you'll stop it."

"I'm not doing this on purpose!" She retorted. "And she's just my friend! We weren't doing anything!"

"Yeah and she's just one of your many friends," her mother accused. "I'm just thankful we arrived here before anything else happened."

"We weren't going to do anything!" Lynn shouted as we reached the front door. She turned to me with pleading eyes, her eyes were fiery with both embarrassment and anger.

"I'm so sorry Naomi," she said quietly. "But please, don't blame yourself."

She closed the door right behind me and their argument started again, growing louder.

Too late.

-

I closed my school locker shut. Then, I closed my eyes and sighed.

"What do you want?"

"Relax, Lorraine," Raymond said with a smirk, leaning against the lockers beside me. "I just wanted to talk. Just smile and pretend you're having a good conversation with me."

"Isn't that always?" I asked thoughtfully.

"Cute," he snarked.

"I'm not in the mood, Raymond."

"Are you saying there are times when you are?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"How long were you standing in that position?" I asked, looking up and down at his figure seeing it was visibly shaking slightly. "And finding that not-so-natural position?"

Raymond shifted his stance, perhaps to something more comfortable, frowning. "That doesn't matter."

I leaned my back against my own locker, watching the students pass by.