chapter two; kensington market

"Morning Aubrey

"Morning Aubrey."

The most depressing phrase someone has ever said to me in my nineteen years of living. Said by my coworker and friend, Joyce.

"Good morning Joyce. I made it to work on time today, proud of me?"

We work at a small coffee shop in Kensington near our University. The coffee shop is rarely busy but I don't blame the people. The coffee here is pretty terrible. Most people come just for the blueberry muffins which are all made by Joyce.

"Do anything fun last night?"

Last night was pretty fun actually. I hadn't thought about it ever since I walked out the bar. But Roger, he seemed like a sweet boy with bad intentions. Like a wanna-be rockstar who just wants to get into women's pants. He still turned me on though I have to admit.

"Yeah actually, I had a few drinks with a friend."

Joyce instantly turned over to me once she heard the last word I said.

"What?"

I said with a blueberry muffin stuffed in my mouth just before work started.

"Why do I get this feeling that they're more then just a friend?"

Kind of nosey of her. It's not like I always ask about her love life. Why does she always bother asking about mine? Not even that interesting. It all ends the same.

"Just some guy I met last night. He's cute I guess but I'm not gonna try anything."

"Oooooh I see."

I flip the sign on the front door from closed to open.

"I'm thinking of finding another part-time job to help pay bills. But I want something to do with music, not shitty coffee you know."

"Good for you Aubrey. What have you got in mind?"

I tried to think about what I had in mind. Nothing was there. Maybe I could work in a vinyl store or something. Or perhaps I could be someone's ghostwriter?

"Well that's the thing. I don't know yet."

"Have you ever thought about being in a band?"

"Yes I have actually. But I think I fly better being a solo artist."

Rogers band name came back to me all of a sudden. Smile. Did they name it Smile because Roger is studying to become a dentist? Shit, I should've asked him that last night. Why didn't I ask him that last night? Silly silly Aubrey. I seem to always miss the golden opportunities.

"What about one of those radio broadcast assistants?"

"Shit. I didn't think about that one. I don't know Joyce, I have a strict taste in music."

She shrugged.

"Suit yourself I guess."

Later that afternoon

"Thanks for coming with me here in the Kensington market Aub. I don't really like shopping by myself."

"No problem, just try to refrain from using that ugly nickname."

The booth Joyce and I are at is packed with earrings. All earrings you can imagine. I'm thirsty to take a pair hope but my wallet is begging for mercy. My eyes scan the table, trying to find a pair that Joyce would be interested in.

"What do you think about these?"

I hold the seashell earrings in the palm of my hand.

"Hey! Those are actually pretty cute. I'll take em."

Joyce exchanges her money for the pair of seashell earrings with the old hippie women running the stall. We make our way onto the next one. It's full of loose bohemian dresses. Not really my style but definitely Joyce's. I could tell she was digging in and wanted to try on every dress in the booth.

"You can go off and do whatever you want if you'd like. I'm gonna take a while here in this stand."

I nod and continue walking down the packed venue. Who knew that it would be this full on January 1st? I see this one stall. It catches my eye.

I browse through the clothes that the owners were selling. Each piece of clothing I was loving.

"Aubrey!"

A strangely familiar voice called from behind me. I turn around to reveal the mystery person.

Roger, the adorable blondie.

Damn I'm gonna go to bed now
Hope y'all enjoyed this 💘