chapter one; leos

I sit back on my bedroom wall, trying to wait for something to happen. Something, anything. Waiting for somebody, anybody to call my telephone. Even if it's just an advertisement.

Thank god it's the last day to this shit-show of a year. It's gone by painfully slow but it's finally over.

December 31st, 1969

The only good thing about '69 was Abbey Road by The Beatles. Plus me waking up pretty inspired on Sunday. Inspired enough to write a song that I was actually satisfied with.

Carry Me Home is the name of the song I wrote after dreaming about the movie Cinderella. I wrote it out of pure desire of trying to find somebody to lust over.

I really hate myself for falling out of love too quickly with people. I tend to be the one breaking hearts, rather then getting mine own broken. Usually at the end of all my relationships I have to tell the guy, "I'm getting bored of you. I gotta go, sorry bye!" Well maybe not those exact words, but you can see where I'm coming from. But I think the worst part about it is that it's not even their fault, it's mine. It's always mine.

"Hey Harry. You said I could call you whenever I was feeling down, so here I am again."

Harry Wilson. My best friend since we were ten, and now my part-time therapist. Actually scratch that. My full-time therapist. I call him at least once a day, even when I'm not feeling sad.

"Aubrey! I'm glad you called. Why are you feeling down today?"

"Geez where do I start? Well my bills are overdue, I ran out of my favorite wine. But it's mostly because I'm scared of commitment and I'm afraid I'll never find the right 'one' for me."

It's true. I think about it everyday. What if there isn't anybody for me? What if I die lonely? Too many hearts to break for me. Tragic.

"Aubrey, you're young. You're nineteen for fucks sake! Don't you worry about it because you'll find someone. You'll find someone to love and cherish. I think you should just focus on University and paying those bills. Alright?"

The truth is, I knew the answer to my question. But I just needed to someone to justify it for me so I don't feel like I'm doing another dumb decision like always.

"You're right. I think I'm gonna go out for a drink now. Nice talk Harry, love you."

"Love you too Aubrey! Happy New Years."

What a sweetheart. I used to have a crush on him when we were teenagers. Around the age of fourteen. But I always knew I didn't deserve him. I stopped liking Harry in that way because I didn't want to get bored of him like I do with the rest of my lovers.

Later that night

"A vodka lemonade for me please."

I say, pulling my long black hair out of the tight ponytail it was in.

"Coming right up for the pretty lady in yellow."

I chug my lovely vodka lemonade down my throat. Leaving a burning and bitter sensation in my mouth. Damn that's good. I don't know if I should get another one or leave my wallet alone. Probably the second option since my bills seem to keep stacking up.

"Hey quick question, are you a Leo?"

A voice I didn't recognize called on my right. I turned my attention to it.

"Yup I'm a Leo, meow."

A young man, probably around my age. Blonde hair, blue eyes.

"I know another Leo when I see one. I'm Roger by the way."

"Aubrey's the name. Nice to meet you."

I look him down. I will admit though, the guys got a nice style. I'm pretty jealous of his clothes not gonna lie.

"You spending New Years Eve all by yourself?"

I hope he's by himself because that comment of his made me feel like a bit of a loser.

"Yeah. Just me, myself, and I. How 'bout you blondie?"

"Well I'm with you aren't I?"

I smirk and nod my head but I really didn't know how I felt about that.

"So tell me Roger, what do you do?"

He better be a genuinely interesting and nice person. I don't want to waste my time on a boring wanker.

"I'm studying dentistry but I'm not a huge fan of the work or the people. And I'm a drummer in a band though. It's called Smile."

Boys with long hair. My only weakness.

"Hm interesting.."

"So what does a lovely lady like you do?"

Damn I thought I'd get away with avoiding that question. The one question that I despise.

"I'm a struggling singer and songwriter. But I'm in University for psychology just in case that dream of mine fails haha."

I don't even know why I'm doing psychology to begin with honestly. I can barley help myself, how am I supposed to do that with others?

Later, later that night

"FIVE! FOUR! THREE! TWO! ONE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

The smell of alcohol and smoke lingered in the air as people kissed, hugged, and shouted.

"Well now that that's over, I best be getting home. I have work tomorrow."

I said as I lifted myself off of the bar stool, and onto the ground.

"No don't leave yet dear! The party has just begun!"

"If I don't leave now, I'll never leave. Nice knowing you though blondie."

"Okay I'll respect that. Have a good night, and drive safely Aubrey!"

Hope you guys enjoyed this!
Happy New Year's Eve
Till next time 💛