Part 47 - Final Battle

Start from the beginning

•0.5kg•

Of course.

You glanced to the opposite side at Joy, hers only stating 3kg. A set up. She'd deliberately given you the heaviest as a huge obstacle. The invigilator started to go around, checking if people were ready. They approached you and you turned, getting your ankle ready- but you stopped.

"You ready?"

Snitching would only make you look weak. You'd take this weight, you'd accept her challenge and beat her furthermore. Just to show how strong you were.

"Born ready"

*Klaxon*

You dived in, immediately feeling the water coat your body, some nerves but mainly due to adrenaline. You could tell by the lacking amount of waves the others were struggling. Momo was a good swimmer, and even better now that she didn't have a heavy weight. As you bolted ahead, she was close behind.

The wall approached and you turned underwater, feet locating the wall and pushing off, a technique which helped transitions.

Second lap.

Onto your back you stared up at the ceiling. In any sport, looking besides you was a huge mistake as it would always slow people down. You couldn't help but steal a brief stare, Momo was a bit behind from the changeover. You smirked and enjoyed the fast pace from your backstroke. You counted the beams and repeated the underwater turn.

Third lap.

On your turn, the weight had bounced off the wall and onto your ankle. A sharp pain electrified your leg, to your spine, and your head. You yelled out, swallowing water as your butterfly caused you to be underwater. You coughed up the mess and tried to collect yourself. Time wasn't an option and you wouldn't risk a a pause. You saw Momo in your blurred vision, swiftly overtaking you. You panicked and swallowed the pain. You pushed forward and tried you best. For the last time you managed a turn in the water and set out on your last lap.

Fourth lap.

The final one. The weight chained to your ankle aches but would stop you from defeating Rose. She'd caused you so much pain and difficulty..she was the reason you had lost him..

Almost lost him.

You pushed forward. Your last jolt of energy pushing you to work your arms harder than ever before, your legs kicking heavily. You couldn't look to find Momo, you wouldn't even allow yourself to breathe. All you had to do was push yourself over the finish line, reaching first place. That's all you needed. 

*KLAXON*

Blue house wins!

— — —

Rubbing your red ankle, you hung your towel around your neck. Right next to your gold medal of course. Everything had gone by so quickly, this sports day had been the most eventful and you were drained. You checked the clock which hung above the changing room entrance.

-8:05pm-

Far too late to still be at school. You laughed, after gasping, as the door swung open out of no where. A light, evening breeze found its way in.

"You think you're so smart."

Y/n: "not gonna congratulate me?"

Rose: "for what? Winning a stupid race? What a child you are"

Y/n: "accusing me of being childish? Says the one who's been chasing after a boy for years now and has forced her parents to set up an arranged marriage because he won't do it out of free-will" you smiled, packing up your belongings until you felt yourself spun around.

Rose: "how dare you?" For a split second, guilt punished you as you saw her eyes well-up.

"You're just jealous, I have everything you don't"

Y/n: "what's that? A social status which will be meaningless when we leave this school?"

Rose: "Love! I have parents who love me, I'm surrounded by love. Even if it is from stupid teenage boys, I'm still admired. You've gone your whole life alone, now you think the first boy who talks to you loves you when in actuality he's just after your mums company!" She panted hard, eyes pricked with tears and hot breathe painting the thick air.

Y/n: "I pity you" ignoring her poisonous words you pushed past her.

Rose: "We're to be married on Sunday. Bet he didn't tell you that" you stopped.

"He didn't even invite you to his wedding, you really are meaningless"

Y/n: "why would he invite his own bride to his wedding?"

Rose: "You must be delusional. You're not his bride"

Y/n: "Not yet"