36. Now

We get down to Zooey's studio a little before noon, and she and her team are ready and waiting. "Maddie, dear," she air kisses my cheeks. "Harry," she shakes his hand. "We've got some beautiful options for you both." She points to another room. "Harry, you can go through there. We've got suits laid out for you."

"No," I say, holding his hand firmly. "Can we stay together, go through everything together?"

"Oh. Okay," she frowns, but Harry smiles down at me, that slow spreading smile, and he disentangles our hands and reaches that tattooed arm out, wrapping it around my back. "Mark, can you bring the suits over?"

"Shirts too?"

"Obviously." She rolls her eyes dramatically. "And shoes. And belts. And ties." She turns back to us. "So, Maddie, let's take a look at the dresses while we wait."

Harry and I walk over to the racks, and the assistant pulls them out one by one, holding them so I can see front and back. I discard most of them easily, as too plain (boring). Not my color (no baby pink for me. Ever.). Or just not my style (mermaid tail? Just no.). I'm left with the gold and white dress that was an option for the Emmys back in September, an open-backed black dress with sequin and lace, a dark red strappy dress with cutouts, and a twenties style dress in dark purple satin. Harry touches each one, his fingers skimming the material.

"Which one do you like?"

"I like them all," he says. "I want to see you in them all."

Zooey's assistants coo at each other, waving their hands in the air like they are dog paddling. I roll my eyes. Come on. What is this? Middle school? Actually, I wouldn't know. Is this how people behave in middle school? I shake my head. "Okay. I'll try them," I kiss him swiftly.

Mark has finished transferring over the clothes from the other room. Harry immediately reaches for a pair of black boots, long and thin, with a buckle detail on the back. I run my fingers over the suit options. There is a nice gray three-piece that would look good with the purple dress. I pull it out and hang it on another rack. I find a simple black tux with a satin lapel. That will work with any of them. I don't really like the other options, but I wait for Harry to choose some. He points, "are those the discard pile?"

"No, I like those."

"Oh, good. Me too." I smile. "What about shirts?"

I shrug. "Zooey, work your magic. I'm going to try on the dresses."

I pull the white and gold one first, wondering if it still fits. It does. It has a very low neckline that might require double sided tape. I step out into the main studio. Harry turns in the gray suit and starts to smile. But he pinches his lower lip between his fingers to stop the smile from spreading all the way. I love that gesture. And he looks so handsome. So dapper in the vest and coat, a simple white shirt underneath.

"This is fabulous," Zooey gushes, smoothing the fabric over my breasts. Like, just grab a handful why don't you? But I'm used to it by now. "Sexy," she wiggles her eyebrows at Harry.

He laughs, from low in his chest, "very."

I blush. "A little bit harlot, a little bit bridal," I say.

"That would be one hell of a wedding," Zooey laughs.

"I don't want to worry about falling out of it," I cover my exposed cleavage. "Discard." I grab the black dress next. I point at Harry. "I like this, but the bow-tie is too...sweet."

He bites his lower lip. Fuck he's beautiful. "I'm sweet," he pouts. I nod, laughing as I make my way into the changing room. The black dress fits like it was painted onto my body, accenting every curve. But I don't see my usual lumps. It's good. I like it. I step out. Harry's mouth falls open. I think this could be the one. I turn so he can see the bare, very low back, resting my chin on my shoulder to watch him. "Good god, Maddie. You look incredible."