Three

The summer quickly becomes ours.

The two of us meet each other on the top of the Dupuy building nearly every day. We smoke cigarettes and talk about random, silly things. The conversations may be little, but they stick in my mind for hours afterwards. Granted, I'm the one doing the talking, but Robin's sarcastic writings in the notes app are no less meaningful to me.

Going on two weeks of friendship, and it already it doesn't take me long to take notice of the raging crush I have on him. I call it my summer crush, in hopes that it'll pass soon. I've never been good with keeping my feelings to myself. Whether it's an opinion or affection, I can't help but express it. Still, part of me wants this summer crush to develop into something more. It's the hopeless romantic in me talking, a secret part of humans that I like to believe we all have.

On this particular day, I stop by a fast food place to pick up cheap burgers, fries, and vanilla shakes before walking across town to our building, where Robin is waiting for me. He has his knees pulled up to his chest and a contemplative frown on his face, which quickly smooths out once he catches sight of me.

"Hey, Birdy," I greet, taking my usual spot next to him.

I take my food out of the bag and hand the bag over to Robin, who flashes me a look of confusion. I set his shake down next to him.

"I brought you lunch," I say. "I didn't know what you'd like, so I just got us the same thing."

Robin pulls out his phone and types something. He gives me a smile.

Thank you. You didn't have to do that.

"I know. I wanted to."

Robin smiles again, pulling a fry out of the bag. He sets his food down in his lap and both of us set about scarfing it all down in the way only teenage boys can manage.

Robin yawns and lays down away from the edge of the roof, hand resting on his stomach. I scoot over and lay beside him, closing my eyes. It's kind of hot, but it's only ninety degrees, so it could be worse. Up here though, it feels a hell of a lot hotter than it really is. I should have brought a tub of ice cream.

We lay there, full and sunbathing with our clothes on. I don't start a conversation, finding that I like the silence. I don't feel very talkative today and Robin doesn't have a very demanding presence. Around my other friends, I feel like I have to keep up an image, but Robin takes things as they are. I like that about him.

Suddenly, a noise sounds from below us. I jump and I might be embarrassed about it if Robin didn't jump, too. I sit up, glancing toward the stairwell. It sounded like it came from downstairs, maybe in the bar. That would make sense. Why else would it sound like shattering glass?

Robin gets up and peers over the side of the building, checking for any people who may have smashed the remaining glass in the windows. I don't think that's likely, thought. It was a big crash, like a box of glass being dropped on the floor all at once.

"They say this building is haunted, you know," I point out.

Robin pulls his phone out and types something.

Everybody knows that.

"Do you think it was ghosts?" I ask.

Robin shrugs. He points at the hatch and raises an eyebrow.

"You want to investigate? What if it was a murderer and not a ghost? A ghost murderer? We could die."

Robin rolls his eyes and lightly shoves me forward.