What's in a Princess?

Catra

Out of all the things Catra had thought would happen after being expelled from the Horde, walking to a kingdom with a bunch of princesses and a talking... horse was it? was not one of them.

For a while, Catra had just stayed behind the group, following with a frown while the rest talked amongst themselves.

As she watched the group of friends chat up a storm, she noticed just how close the three had gotten. It made her angry. Adora used to have that same kind of relationship with Catra. What happened?

Suddenly Glimmer turned around to face her harshly. Catra let out an involuntary hiss.

"Whoa," Glimmer put her hands up, "sorry. But something's been bugging me."

Catra crossed her arms and smirked. "Is it that I'm from the Horde?"

"No- well... anyway it's just- why weren't the spider things in the beacon attacking you? You couldn't just have hid from them, they'd find you anywhere.

"I returned the disc I stole to its place and they left me alone. Once I realized Adora wasn't going to wake up anytime soon, I figured I'd be nice for once and give the place its stuff back."

"Then why were they attacking us ?"

"No idea. Maybe they don't like princesses ."

"Not this again! Catra, cut it out. Can't we all just be friends?" Adora cut in

"Absolutely not ." Catra confirmed. "Y'know what? I'm not even sure I want to be part of this rebellion if this is how princesses are."

Glimmer looked really mad. She started walking in Catra's direction ignoring the calls from her friends to stop. Catra couldn't care less, no princess could possibly win in a fight against her.

As soon as Catra was in arms reach of Glimmer, rather than attacking, she grabbed her arm and suddenly they were in the sky, falling at high speed. "Whoa, wait!" Catra flailed but there was nothing to stop her descent. She looked around, Glimmer wasn't falling with her, she had teleported back to the ground and from high up, she could see Adora yelling at her. Catra didn't even realize she was screaming until she reached the top of the tallest trees and her voice was echoing back to her. The ground was closing in fast and there was no way she was going to be alright when she landed.

She braced herself for impact when she felt a hand on her arm and then she was back on the ground, safe and unharmed. She put her hands on her knees and leaned forward, breathing fast.

"Insult me like that again and next time I'll let you hit the ground."

"Glimmer! What is wrong with you? Catra, are you okay?" Neither responded.

"I was the same way when we first met, remember? Why are you treating Catra so much worse than you did me?"

Catra saw a light flashing in the corner of her eye and started stepping toward it. Glimmer and Adora continued arguing.

"The last time Catra and I met, we were fighting on opposite sides. At least you didn't come specifically to attack us, you just wanted your sword."

Catra walked further away from them.

"She's different-"

"Doesn't seem all that different to me."

She was still within earshot but tuned their conversation out. In front of her was yet another ruin. She looked around for a second but it seemed no one else noticed. How? The light was really bright.