Chapter 18

"So... this Born fellow-" began Nora, but Gandalf interrupted her.

"Beorn," he corrected gently.

"Right, Bee-orn. He does know we're coming?" She looked at him hopefully, but Gandalf shook his head, negating the statement.

"Okay... well, then he's really hospitable and loves guests?" she tried again. This time Gandalf laughed outright.

"No," he answered, "but if the situation stays under control, we should be fine."

"And when has the phrase 'under control' ever applied to this particular company?" Nora asked innocently, causing Gandalf to chuckle at the statement's truth.

"Well, we shall see..." he finally said, moving ahead of her.

"But that's what you say when you don't have an answer, but won't admit it..." Nora mumbled in annoyance as she followed him.

"Right then!" said Gandalf suddenly, turning to address the entire company.

Everyone stopped and grouped up to listen to the wizard.

"The orcs and wargs are not far behind, so we must move quickly, but maintain caution. Here's what I need you to do.

"I will go ahead with Bilbo right now, I want you to follow me in groups of two or three every five minutes. Go up and knock on the door. Don't say anything unless absolutely necessary and keep your weapons sheathed at all times."

"Who is this Born?" called Kili from the back.

"It's Bee-orn!" yelled Nora in her attempt at imitating Gandalf. The grey wizard gave her a long look, before continuing,

"He is... the last of his kind. Treat him with respect, he can be very dangerous when he chooses to."

"Gandalf," said Thorin in a low voice so as not to broadcast his concern to the entire company, "are you sure we will be safe?" Gandalf held the dwarf's gaze for a long moment.

"Yes," he finally said, before turning and walking away, with Bilbo following behind.

Thorin turned to address the group.

"Everyone group up in groups of two or three as Gandalf said, be ready." Aelith approached him as the company began to organize themselves.

"Me and my friends will come last," she offered. Thorin nodded gratefully, but asked,

"Are you sure? Gandalf said the goblins are not far behind." Aelith smiled grimly,

"We are trained killers your Highness. Besides..." she glanced back at the group nervously, "we need to have a short meeting." Thorin seemed about to ask further, but unexpectedly turned away.

"As you wish," he said, walking away.

Aelith, grateful he hadn't pried, turned and went to rejoin her friends who had gathered behind the company.

"We are going to bring up the rear," she told them, her 'business face' back on.

The others nodded, an uncharacteristic seriousness settling over the group.

"Nora, Runa and Nienna will go first and Avice and I will follow," she said and the girls nodded, situating themselves to stand by their respective partners. After giving them a moment, Aelith spoke up again,

"We all know that we each have..." she paused, "secrets. We accepted that about each other from the beginning." The girls nodded slowly, wondering where exactly Aelith was headed with this.