Chapter 51

Havoc reigned. Dwarves and elves and orcs were all mixed up and attempts at maintaining battle formations were abandoned for the most part.

The men of Lake Town had been quick to drop back into the city, trying to find some footing in order to protect their vulnerable loved ones. Bard himself was stuck in the middle of it all, trying to kill a horde of orcs surrounding him.

As the last of the monsters fell, he paused.

"We need to get the women and children to safety," he ordered. Needless to say, a certain greasy man was the first to volunteer.

"I will take them to the bell tower," Aflrid piped up hopefully. Bard looked at the man for a moment, but came to a decision as he heard the next wave of orcs nearing.

"Very well," he said. The dead orc at his feet was divested of its sword, which was handed to a cringing Alfrid who accepted it with some reluctance.

"Alright, move!" Alfrid yelled as he turned and began to corral the young and female off to safety. Bard quickly turned his attention back to the task at hand.

*    *    *

Sarabelle was rushing about the healing tent, fetching the healers and the injured water, medicine, and bandages. She had wanted to fight. However, she was not a fool and knew that she would be useless on the battlefield, so she hadn't argued when Gandalf had sent her here to help.

Silvia was here for the moment as well. Though she was also a warrior, her disobedience to her king currently put her in a tight spot as she was unsure if her command would be reinstated. For now she was patching up some of the minor injuries and would then lead a small band of those able, back into the fray.

*    *    *

"Hurry!" urged Nienna, clinging to Legolas as they flew across the terrain. Legolas did not reply, merely leaned further over the horses neck and gently nudged its sides.

We'll never get there in time, thought Nienna, anxiety rife in her heart.

They didn't have a choice. They needed to warn the others about the masses of orcs headed their way.

*    *    *

Silvia and a motley group of elves quickly entered Lake Town, following the sounds of battle. It didn't take long for them to find Bard and his remaining men battling fiercely in a small market square now littered with bodies.

Silvia didn't hesitate to charge and quickly fought her way to Bard's side. He noticed her as he pulled his sword out of an orc and seemed surprised, but nodded in acknowledgment. She inclined her head, but wasted no more time than that before resuming her killing spree.

When asked later, Bard would admit to being caught off guard by Silvia's skill with her sword. She fought with a grace and agility equal to any male, elf or human.

*    *    *

The battle outside the mountain doors was beginning to look hopeless. The orcs seemed to be neverending, and their opposition was tiring.

Then, without any warning, the stone blockade that was covering the mountain's entrance exploded outwards. The rubble was followed by Thorin and his company, all yelling war cries as they leapt into battle.