Chapter 59

Gandalf halted, the two hobbits behind him narrowly avoiding crashing into the tall wizard.

"I'm afraid this is as far as I go," he said, smiling down at his charges. Bilbo and Sarabelle looked up at him.

Sarabelle was the first to step forward, catching the wizard off guard by hugging him and saying, "Goodbye Gandalf. Thank you for everything."

Then she turned and continued on, not looking back.

Bilbo hesitated, seeming to detect something in the air, some remaining baggage that weighed him down.

"Will I see you again?" he finally asked.

The wizard's eyes twinkled, "Oh definitely I would say. You hobbits are very useful creatures."

Bilbo glared at him in mock sternness. "Well I hope it's only for a cup of tea. I'm done with adventuring. And please don't bring thirteen guests next time. Or if you must, give me advance warning so I have enough food."

Gandalf chuckled.

"Goodbye Gandalf," Bilbo said, offering his hand. Gandalf chuckled, pulling the hobbit in for a hug.

"Goodbye Bilbo Baggins."

However, as Bilbo took a few steps away, Gandalf called out, "And be careful. Magic rings are not to be trifled with."

Bilbo froze. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Gandalf simply smiled at the hobbit. "There are few magic rings Bilbo Baggins and none are to be taken lightly." Their eyes met in a silent acknowledgment.

Gandalf waited patiently as the hobbit hesitated to leave.

"Gandalf... they'll be alright, won't they? Everyone, I mean, the dwarves and the girls?"

Gandalf looked down at the hobbit before him and simply said, "Yes."

Bilbo nodded once, then turned and followed Sarabelle's path toward the green, rolling hills and the shrieks of laughter.

Gandalf watched him until he vanished out of sight and then sighed a heavy sigh.

There was more to this journey yet then they realized. Healing, after all, often failed to correspond with the length of the incident.

However, they would be alright.

Goodbyes had been said, but the friendships they had formed were strong. They wouldn't fall apart.

But if they did start to crumble, Gandalf would be there.

They'd be alright.

He'd make sure of it.