Epilogue Part 2

[NOTICE: PLEASE RECALL THAT THESE ARE FAKE EPILOGUES FOR THOSE WHO NEED CONSOLING AFTER MY ENDING! SIMPLY PRETEND NO CHARACTERS DIED IN THE FINAL BATTLE AND ALL WILL BE WELL! ENJOY!]

Sigrid and Tilda ran, laughing through the kitchen where Silvia was sorting dried herbs. Or rather, trying to.

This wasn't the first sprint through this particular room and the cycle was getting old.

"Sigrid, Tilda," called Silvia calmly. "Come help me please."

The two girls, recognizing her tone, immediately came back into the kitchen, walking this time and bearing chagrined expressions.

"Sorry Silvia," apologized Sigrid as both girls sat down and began boxing herbs -- a task they had become very adept at over the past couple years.

"It's quite alright," Silvia smiled. "If you just wait here, I'm feeling a bit worn so I'm going to go sit down."

Both girls immediately stiffened and looked at Silvia in concern. Though they never called her "mother" (and Silvia neither asked nor wanted them to) all three of Bard's children had come to care for her as such.

"Are you alright?" asked Sigrid as Tilda simultaneously queried,

"Should I go get daddy?"

Silvia laughed lightly, "It's quite alright girls. I'm not dying, just tired is all. Carry on."

Both girls narrowed their eyes, searching for any signs to the contrary.

"Well alright," said Sigrid finally, but added with a significant look to Silvia's torso, "but if you do start to feel unwell..."

"I'll tell you right away," chuckled Silvia, instinctively rubbing her stomach as she sat down.

After several minutes of quiet, Tilda asked, "When am I getting a sister?"

Before either Silvia or Sigrid could respond, a deep voice from the doorway cut in.

"It could be a brother for all you know." The girls and Silvia turned to see Bard and Bain in the doorway, back from fishing, Bard observing Tilda in amusement.

"No," said Tilda sagely as both girls greeted their father fondly. "It's a girl."

"How do you know?" retorted Bard jovially as he moved to where Silvia was seated and kissed the top of her head.

"I can feel it," Tilda informed them, looking grave. Bain rolled his eyes at his sister as he hugged Silvia before disappearing with the fish they'd caught.

"Very well," said Bard. "You have only three more moons to wait until you will have another sister."

"But that's so far away," whined Tilda and Sigrid kicked her under the table, hushing her.

Both Silvia and Bard chuckled.

"Never fear little one," said Silvia. "Time will fly."

* * *

"Do you Thorin Oakenshield, take the Lady Avice..."

"When did Avice become a lady?" snorted Nora from the front row, causing those from within hearing distance to choke on laughter.

"... to be your lawfully wedded wife. To love and to rule beside you and to die beside you, no matter where you roam."

"I do," said Thorin, projecting his voice as he was used to in official meetings when he wanted to be heard.

"Very good. And do you," Balin turned to Avice here, "take Thorin II Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór, King under the Moun--"

"Oh get on with it!" shouted Nora, much to Avice's amusement and Thorin's irritation. "We all know he's the blasted king already!"