The Things We Don't Say

Gabby smirked at Laurie's embarrassed face, which, to her, was awfully cute. The redhead had attempted to flirt with her friend, and had most likely succeeded, due to the flustered expression Laurie currently sported. She crossed her arms and turned her head to the side, looking the slightest bit ticked.
"You are the worst."
"Actually," Gabby corrected, "I'm the best, which is why I'm perfect for you~"
The color on Laurie's cheeks only got more noticeable, resulting in a laugh from Gabby. She knew well and good that, whenever given the right moment, she could be hella relentless. Her friend knew this as well, and did a good job pretending she didn't like it.
"I also know you have, like, a fetish for cute things-"
"Stop doing that!" Laurie squeaked, the blush on face spreading up to her ears. She slapped Gabby's cheek.
"Ow, that actually hurt!" the redhead chortled.
"That's the point!"
Gabby thought for a moment, resting her finger over her lip.
"That doesn't mean you're gonna try and, uh, fuck my cat, right?"
"NO!"
Laurie jabbed the accuser in the stomach, causing Gabby to reflexively buckle over. She released a loud oof, her eyes going wide. After a few seconds, she managed to breathlessly stand back up straight.
"And you think I'm mean, jesus christ..."
"Because you are!"
After Gabby regained her breath, she reached out to the doorknob of her house and swung it open. Laurie gawked at the place; it was so fucking big!
While she was taking it all in, a small, black and white cat came from up the stairs, mewling, as if to say hi. Gabby crouched down and meowed back, which, Laurie had to admit, was probably the sweetest thing she had seen in a while. She glanced around, taking notice to how oddly quiet the place was.
"Are your parents home?"
Gabby shook her head, "No. Dad's having some meetings, I guess. Stepmom's in Germany."
"So your parents divorced?"
"Yeah. Mom's in a completely different part of town with the stepdad."
Unable to think of a way to reply --- Laurie's parents still being together --- her only response was, "Huh."
An unholy silence found it's way between them, until Gabby decided it was time to show her friend around. The redhead stood up, turning to face Laurie.
"Okay, fren. I'll show you around, I guess."
Laurie nodded, then followed after Gabby.

...

"...And finally, this is my room!"
Laurie didn't really need confirmation on that --- The entire space was a mess, legos practically thrown all over the hardwood floor. A large stack of drawing pads were stacked next to her bed as well, and a clutter of what looked like clay was on her desk. Her closet was closed, though Laurie assumed that was where her clothes were.
Suddenly Gabby shrieked, and she hopped over her legos to her desk. She quickly got to work doing something, but Laurie couldn't tell. with Gabby's back facing her, she blocked the view of the desk.
"What was that about?"
"I've been working on lil' presents for my friends," Gabby started, "and yours is over here too!"
"Oh."
While Gabby worked on the clay, or whatever else she was doing, Laurie rolled onto the redhead's bed. She picked up one of Gabby's art pads, and began skimming through the pages. A lot of the drawings were just in pencil, although a few of them were outlined in pen. Nothing really piqued her interest, until her eyes caught onto a second drawing pad in the stack.
The cover read, in pen, 'Keep out, it's too fucking gay!'. There was something else written under it, but it was illegible. Laurie shrugged, thinking, What's so wrong with gay?
She picked it up, closing the one she had skimmed through and putting it aside. Laurie opened up to the first page, and there was another warning that read 'GIT!'. She almost laughed out loud, and turned to the next page.
And holy fuck, she was turned on right then and there.
She felt a heat build up in her cheeks, and she realized that she had made a mistake. Oops.
Laurie yelped in surprise and Gabby practically jumped on her from behind, screeching curses. She threw the book out of Laurie's hands, seemingly angry. After doing so, she rolled onto the other end of the bed, and then sat up.
"Didn't you read the cover!?"
"I did, but I didn't think it was that sort of gay!"
"Did you miss the fact that it said 'NSFW'!?"
Oh. Another big oops.
Laurie awkwardly nodded, "I couldn't read it. Your handwriting sucks."
Gabby sighed, and Laurie just now noticed that she was also blushing. No wonder.
"Gabbs, I'm soz," Laurie apologized, scooting closer to her friend. She nuzzled Gabby's neck with her nose, as if to comfort the redhead just the slightest bit more.
"Oh, so hot things also turn you on, got it."
"Why wouldn't they?"
Gabby shrugged, and a smug grin grew on her face.
"What?" Laurie questioned, moving back.
"Does that mean I turn you on?" Gabby crossed her arms.
The blue-haired girl bit her lip, "Well, I mean... Maybe..."
Gabby smirked, "Of course I do. I'm hot as fuck."
Laurie gave her a playful punch to the shoulder, "I'll be the judge of that!"
The two of them laughed, not with any specific purpose, but just for the sake of it. Gabby loved it; Laurie hardly ever genuinely laughed, and this was one of those rare occasions. She let out an enthusiastic sigh.
"So, how has life been going for you?"
Laurie shrugged, "Decent. Haven't cut in a while, actually."
Gabby's jaw almost dropped, "Wait, really?"
"Yeah. Since the old dog's been put in prison, I've been doing a whole lot better. Ma's actually been laying off the alcohol, too, so that's a plus."
"Wow." Gabby was honestly surprised that Laurie suddenly brought up her own problems, because that was usually the one thing she avoided like the plague.
"How about you?"
It took Gabby a moment to register the question.
"Not a whole lot. Brother is still hoping I'll fuck 'im, because the horny trashbag can't take no for an answer."
"Ha!"
"Also, I completely ditched purging. I hate feeling hungry."
Laurie laughed, with that real, cute voice of hers. Gabby had trouble resisting the urge to kiss her, but she managed it. It was actually quite common for her to experience the odd attraction, and every time she felt the pull, she remembered she had a love-hate relationship with it.
"Gabbs, you okay?"
Gabby didn't realize that she had gone quiet.
"Oh, uh, yeah. Just thinking, sorry."
"About what?"
Gabby snorted, "I'm not gonna answer that until you start answering my questions."
"But I did!"
"Yeah, and it was like, a first."
Laurie rolled her eyes, "Okay, fine. Give me another question."
Gabby thought for a moment. She pressed her index finger to her bottom lip, wondering which crucial question Laurie didn't answer yet. Then it struck her sideways.
"Why don't you have your anti-d's anymore?"
Laurie stiffened. Gabby noticed her muscles tense, and, although the question was out of genuine worry, she realized it probably wasn't the best thing to ask.
"Ree?"
"Doctors took 'em."
The odd glint in Laurie's eyes, and the vagueness of her answer indicated that there was more to the story. Gabby tilted her head to the side.
"Why?"
"Because."
The blue-haired girl turned her head away.
Something had happened.
And Laurie was shameful enough to refuse talking about it.
"Laurie? What the hell happened?"
She looked back at Gabby, somewhat pissed, but otherwise... What? There was another emotion showing through that the redhead couldn't distinguish. Fear? Sadness? She couldn't tell.
"Laurie, please!" She begged, as her friend stood up off the bed. Laurie stiffly strode out of the room and down the stairs, leaving Gabby no choice but to chase after her.
When she made it to the bottom of the steps, Laurie was nowhere to be found. Gabby, in a panic, ran into the kitchen, where she found her friend. She was sitting at the table, her head in her hands. And, if Gabby wasn't mistaken, she could hear quiet sniffles coming from the poor girl.
Instead of continuing to interrogate her, Gabby sat down in the seat next to her. She gently placed a hand on Laurie's back, and then she leaned her head against her friend's shoulder. Apologetically, she said;
"Ree, I know you don't like taking about this shit. I don't either, but... But we kinda have to, don't we?" She whispered, "And the reason I want answers from you is because you go through so much all the time. Do you really think I'm gonna take any chances when you used to cut your arteries open?"
Laurie shakily shook her head. Good. A response.
Gabby continued, "I don't like seeing you cry, either, so I'd rather you not."
She felt Laurie's back hitch, and a small sound came from her. A teeny weeny giggle.
Laurie moved her head back, and gave Gabby a weak smile. Her eyes were teary and slightly red, but she still looked the slightest bit enthused. The redhead sighed.
And to her surprise, Laurie began muttering an answer.
"I just... I took..." The blue-haired girl frowned, "More."
"You took more..?"
"Yeah," Laurie confirmed, "I overdid it. Over, uh..."
"Overdosed," Gabby corrected.
"Yah. That."
"But..." Gabby still didn't completely understand, "why?"
Laurie heaved a loud sigh, "Because I... I didn't know what to-" she hiccuped, "do."
"About what!?"
"About my dad coming back!" She shrieked, tears rubbing down her face, "Ma said the police were gonna let him go next month! Goddamnit Baby, he's gonna kill me!"
Gabby stared at her friend. The outburst was sudden, and Gabby didn't realize that there was so much pressure on her.
"So," Laurie continued, calmer this time, "I figured I might as well kill myself before he does. I don't want to die at his stupid-ass, abusive fucking hands!"
Laurie wiped her eyes with the palm of her hand, and then suddenly shuddered. Gabby pulled her close, and murmured softly. She gently stroked the back of Laurie's head, slowly running her fingers through her short hair.
The older girl cried onto the redheads shoulder, gripping onto her back like her life depended on it. The duo sat there, in each other's arms, until Laurie's tears came to a slow. She then, ever so weakly, sat back, the slightest bit aggravated.
Gabby brought her hands to Laurie's shoulders, and, with the smallest smile, she whispered;
"Remember, you can always use this place as your little getaway, okay? Dad doesn't mind company, and I really love you."
Laurie tilted her head slightly to the side, "You... What?"
Gabby coughed, her face becoming almost as red as her hair.
"I really love seeing you, is, uh, what I meant."
"Yeah," Laurie giggled, "sure it was."

(I feel like it's not what I wanted it to be? Idk, I just suck at fluffing? Somebody critique me or imma gonna flip over the stairs Lmao)
(Also, I don't check got typos, cuz I'm a lazy butt, just so you know if you found any)

(AND SORRY FOR ALL THE '...' 'S )