Chapter 9

The four of them met back up in the emptied cereal aisle and none of them could help displaying their chosen goodies to the others in hopes of appreciation, Kaminari and Mina presenting proud grins as Kirishima tried to match it.

They had all gotten types of foods from Bakugou's spices that burnt the other's noses just from smelling them to Mina's bubblegum flavoured muffin she grabbed from a counter, and the hope began to reconstruct in the air. Not even Bakugou, always solemn or angry in presence, could hold back a slight smile at the thought of relaxation once again.

But then they heard the door slam open.. but not close.

Kirishima's voice suddenly broke into a whisper as he closed his bag and began to run to a spot reasonable for cover.

"Everyone, hide!!"
And as he disappeared from direct view, his skin hardening was the last thing visible to the other three as they followed suit. They darted to different areas, however not a single one let their eyes slip away from the door that was bolted open.

"Holy shit.." Kaminari's voice cracked with fear as all colour left his face, a sudden dread filling his stomach once more.

The monsters were filing through the door, one by one, groans echoing throughout the Wal-Mart that struck an unnerving fear in each of the living kids. There was dozens... and the number seemed to just increase. With their rising numbers, the hope of survival, the hope of freedom seemed to fade away, leaving an empty air for the dread to funnel into.

Over the groaning of the people, as their feet shuffled along the floor, Mina could hear mutters of curses, fear and most of all, anger. They were all pissed.. couldn't they be allowed to have hope? Clearly not.

Clearly not indeed.

• • •

Hours seemed to pass before they made their move to try and take down the horde, Bakugou's yells and the bangs of his fists along with Kirishima's echoing through the aisles, a smell of burning flesh filling the air. He held back a gag as corpses fell one after another... but the crowd never seemed to grow any smaller.

Bang.
Bang.
Bang.
The constant thumping was slowly pounding into Kirishima's skull to a point of confusion as his arm felt like it would crack open.. they couldn't keep this up any longer. It was going to end badly for all of them and he knew it. Past the fear and dread, Kirishima knew he was right.. he always was with these hunches.

So when he heard the strained cursing of Bakugou, a sullen dread flooded his body. His quirk had reached it's limit and was threatening to disappear but he risked the glance at Bakugou.. at his love from first sight.

He didn't know why he ran into it.

• • •

His muscles felt like they were about to burst as Bakugou stumbled back, muttering curses. He wanted to fight, he had to - but his legs soon collapsed under him as a fog filled his head. The cool floor was like a relief against the sweet scented sweat that ran down Bakugou's forehead but his fist clenched. Anger flooded him as he tried to move, tried to get up... but his body was on the brink of shut down.

Each step was accompanied by a shake that threatened to knock him down as he got up. As he went to punch at the zombie that charged at him, faster than the rest, his body screamed. Pain. Anger. His body was taking a thousand internal strikes and still fighting for his life.

But the next thing he would never have expected. The red blur that cut in front of him. The piercing scream of pain as teeth ripped skin, ripped flesh. The spray of crimson blood on the floor as the figure fell. The tears that began trailing down Bakugou's face.

"KIRISHIMA!! DAMN IT, DAMN IT"
His words echoed as pain was annihilated by anger and disappointment in himself. Fists clashing into decaying skulls as more bodies hit the floor. Nothing went through his head but a fog.

Not even when Kaminari and Mina came around the corner, picking up Kirishima with no words.
Or when a purple haired figure ran in and grabbed him, pulling him out in a frenzy.
Not when Kirishima's breath became short and his words harsh.

And especially not when Kaminari fired a mercy bullet, tears running down his cheeks as Kirishima's eyes shut for the final time.

But then the floor became his comfort, the cold but rough stone cutting into Bakugou's cheek as black dots surrounded his vision. He could only just make out the idiots' words of concern before he saw what looked to be them lifting him up. It didn't mention though, he couldn't feel anything as the darkness slipped Bakugou away, two words slipping his lips as he went under.

"I'm sorry.."