A Real Promise

The hallways were practically crawling with students, idle noise of chatter could be heard in every nook. It was hard to keep a single train of thought among the sea of loud gossip. Clarence weaves his path to get to his locker. And practically tumbles over askew a few books on the ground, his envelopes slipped off his hands as he fell.

“Clarence, you okay?” Ian came to his rescue, pushing people aside and offering him a hand, which he gladly took. He gathered the discarded envelopes on the floor.

“I’m fine. Thanks.” He brushed his hands on his cardigan, and taking the envelopes from Ian.

“You’ve been very busy.” Ian pointed at the envelopes he’s carrying, “Going somewhere?”

“The marketing office.”

“Need some help?” Ian smiled lopsidedly, putting his arms on his shoulders, “Maybe hang afterwards?”

Clarence awkwardly extracted himself from Ian, “That’s nice, Ian. But I don’t think Edgar would appreciate your uhh… invitations.”

Ian stared at him confused, “We’re just friends. I ain’t trying to steal you from him.”

Clarence’s eyes widened like saucers. Flushing a bit at his wrong ‘conclusion’.

“If I did, your boyfriend might send me to the hospital.” He laughs as he pats Clarence on the back, “Or worse, my boyfriend will castrate me.”

“Oooh!!! I didn’t know. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I thought I was sending you enough signals.”

“Uuuhh… no, you didn’t.”

“I kept inviting you out so we could talk.”

“Just… Sorry. I got the wrong idea.”

“It’s fine. You must’ve noticed that I am too clingy.” To prove his point, he held Clarence closer by his shoulder, “Anyway. Going back, wanna hang?”

“Sure, just let me drop these in the office.”

Somehow, Clarence felt relieved knowing that Ian’s already taken. Like there’s no malicious intent if they’re chummy with each other. But still…

He picked up his phone, and dialled Edgar’s number.

                                                78787878787878787878

“Come on, Edgar! Let’s watch that one!” Sasha pulls him on the line of the ticket booth.

She locks her arm on his. He still hasn’t gotten used to the way his skin crawl at the unwelcome contact. It’s been a week and he still hasn’t gotten used to it.Though he stopped himself from recoiling.

“I’m so excited!”

“Yeah… Me too.”

His phone chose that moment to make itself know from his pants, Sorry, excuse me.”

“Sure, I’ll be right here.”

Edgar immediately hits answer without looking at the caller ID. Anything to get away from Sasha.

“Hello?”

“Edgar!” the whimsical voice of Clarence hit his ear and makes it way to his heart, lifting his sour mood.

“Clarence, to who or what do I owe this wonderful call from you?”

“Could be because I miss you very very much.”