Part Five. Chapter Three. Michael

Start from the beginning

"I have worked every weekend since I came back from vacation over three and a half weeks ago and you are telling me that I need to work the next two as well," I snarled, watching the man visibly flinch. "Tell me what I have done that you do not consider fair?"

"Look," he said as if trying to be the voice of reason. "I can't rearrange the rotas so late in the day. What say I make sure that the weekend following these two weeks becomes clear and free for you, hmmm?"

My wolf considered that we shouldn't take him at his word, even wanting to go so far as to threaten him with our fangs at his neck until we had his complete submission. But this was a hospital for non-supernatural's at the end of the day, there was only so much we could get away with. I reigned in my beast and stormed out of the room with a curt nod.

And so another two weeks of hell began, making me wonder why I had started work at this Goddess foresaken hospital in the first place. I had always had an interest in medicine and biology. But I was due to be the next Alpha, such education was unnecessary, so I took the topic of biology in secret. My father had not been impressed at the time when he had finally found out, but as it didn't effect the studies he demanded of me, he let it slide. When I was exiled, Eric had encouraged me to take the subject further and was by my side all of the way when I began studying at university, while he took on a sports degree before switching to business management when his idea of an all species gym took root in his mind. He was there during the two years of my post graduation, when I began interning and took an interest in geriatrics and he encouraged me when I was headhunted for this hospital, who were reputed to have one of the best geriatric wards and care around. But right now, I was not there for him and not there for Alex, even though I should be.

Tuesday, having managed to gain a five minute breather in my office with a cup of coffee and a couple of biscuits that Clover had given me, sympathetic to my current plight, I almost cursed as a tentative knock disturbed me. I swallowed back any rising anger and called out; "Come in," hoping my voice sounded as steady as I wanted it to.

Alex peeked around the door and my anger completely disappaited as it were never there. I rose from my seat to greet him, but noticed that his face was not as joyful as mine and his hazel eyes were stained red. Immediately, I became concerned. "My love, what's wrong?" I asked as I came around the desk, to pull him into the office and into my arms. Every cell in my body automatically relaxed as he nestled into my embrace. His mixed scent was more heavy with his own and Eric's musk, which saddened me for mine was clearly lacking and it was my own fault, but at the same time at that moment, I really needed to breathe his scent in and envelope it into my being.

"Th-they a-are outsourcing the j-j-janitors d-department," he said, his words stilted having clearly cried heavily not long ago. "M-my job w-will b-be gone in six w-weeks." His tears began to fall again. I had known he took pride in his work, he never let the reputation of his position weigh him down, after all such labels were made with ignorance. But now, what he had worked hard for was being taken away. It was another point I now had against this hospital. But I was a professional, I would bite my tongue against them for now. I had to place the interests of my patients before the idiots in management and my increasingly sour mood towards them.

I rubbed his back to soothe him. "I don't know what they are thinking," I sighed aloud. "You are brilliant at your job and the other cleaners generally work hard." I couldn't say they were up to my standard, but they were always there when you required them to be and I never caught any of them slacking during work hours.

"Apparently," he told me, after he calmed down somewhat, "there have been too many complaints about the standards of cleanliness. But my supervisor told me that her funds had been cut, so she couldn't hire when a couple of staff members left last month and she couldn't provide overtime. She also couldn't cover sickness or for holiday's, so we all had to make do. She had to watch how much product was being used too. Even the bleach must have changed to a cheaper brand, it was really strong smelling, but at least it was no less effective than the last suppliers product." He sighed. "Anyway, management decided that it would be better to outsource in the end and gave us all notice." He waved the piece of paper with his written notice between us.

"Alex..." I began, not knowing what else to say.

But in the end, we were not able to discuss it further as there came another knock upon the door. This one, no matter how much I wanted to ignore it, was Doctor Kingsley. Duty called.

"Go on," Alex gave me a quick hug. "I'll see you at home, later."

"I love you," I told him returning his hug with one of my own, before going out of the room to help Doctor Kingsley with whatever he required me for and then resume my rounds. I looked back over my shoulder, to refresh the imprint upon my mind of my beloved mate and my heart nearly stopped.

Author; yes... cliffhanger...