"I can't believe you're my sister's boyfriend," Kyle said from the door. Someone had to tell him that just because two people were going to prom together, didn't mean that they were together. But for this specific occasion, I sort of hoped that was the case.

Austin neither confirmed nor denied Kyle's statement. He smiled at my brother and smiled even bigger when he saw me. "You look– wow, you look gorgeous," he said, leaning down to kiss me but was stopped by Kaden, who patted him on the back, hard enough to get the message across. No making out with my sister. At least in front of them. I was partially thankful for that action because I was sure that I would explode. We hadn't kissed since the night of the fight.

"Thanks," I said. After literally one picture, we were out the door and informed that my curfew was at one.

The drive to school was a short one so we had no time to talk about anything much. But he did sneak his hand down to lace his fingers through mine, sending tingles down my spine.

The school was decorated with countless Christmas lights that colored the roof of the gym like tiny, white stars. The tables were round and big, with fancy napkin origami. Spotlights were targeted the dance floor and music boomed from the speakers.

"The prom committee did good," I told Austin, whose hand lay on the small of my back like the spot had been reserved for him all these years.

"You weren't on the prom committee?" he asked. "I'm surprised."

When we approached the two tables where our friends were seated, Jimmy started to clap, slowly then faster when the others started to join in. "Finally, something that makes sense!"

"What doesn't make sense?" Austin asked, while pulling a chair for me like a perfect gentleman.

"Why isn't eleven pronounced onety-one?"

I turned to Austin. "I want to sit somewhere else."

Everyone laughed and suddenly, everything was back to normal. My heart was finally beating at a steady pace and I felt at peace like I had felt a week ago before all the drama– Austin right beside me in the table, Jimmy turning the night into a comedy show, and bunch of friends brought together by two enemies.

Halfway through the night, when everyone had arrived, Austin and Jake excused themselves from the table. I was pretty sure that boys didn't go to the bathroom together so I asked him where he was going but he only waved off the question like it was rhetorical.

Liz was grinning so hard; I had to ask, "What?"

"You guys are a cute couple," she said. "Especially when you both aren't so moody about it."

"You guys together now?" Clay asked.

"No," I shrugged. "I don't know. We haven't really talked about it."

"Do you want to be together?" Max asked.

Bravely, I said firmly, "I want to be with him. He makes me happy." He made me feel safe and secure and wanted. No one had the power to make my problems go away but he made them bearable. "I just hope he feels the same way."

"Oh, he feels the same way," Jimmy assured.

"I'm happy for you," Liz said taking my hand.

The principal made his way to the stage and tapped the microphone twice before announcing that he was going to reveal the winners of prom king and queen. I frowned at the empty seat beside me. Humility aside, Austin and I were the main obvious candidates for the positions. I was confused to why my date was missing in the first place and nervous because I didn't want to go walk up the stage alone.