Donuts: The Secret Weapon

-Friday Morning-
"Shhiiitttttt......." I groan as I look at the time displayed across the dash of my car. Its 10:58 and class starts at 11. I growl and slam my hand against the horn even though I know it will have no effects on the traffic. Behind me, more cars pile up and the honking gets even louder.  "It's the last class and I'm late. I knew I should have taken 1st Avenue over to Richmond."

I try to boost myself up in my seat to see whats going on, but the traffic is so bad that I can't even see the start of it. Pulling down the sun visor, I begin to look myself over in the mirror. My black hair is jostled up in all places even after I attempted to brush it down. I've pretty much given up hope that I'll ever have a good hair day. My blue eyes shine matching the tie around my neck. Micheal was always jealous that I got Mom's eyes. All three of my brothers looked pretty much got all their looks from Dad, but I somehow ended up with Mom's features. At least that's what I was told.

I'm thrown from my thoughts when my phone starts buzzing from my pocket. I roll my eyes when I look to see who's calling. But I answer the call.

"Hey-o Cassie! Aren't you supposed to be at school?" Gabriel laughs on the other end of the phone. Of course he has to call at this exact time.

"What do you want Gabe? I'm really not in the mood for you right now." I can hear him sound some sort of noise like a hmph.

"Woah, touchy aren't we today? I'm sorry do I have the wrong number? Micheal is that you?"

"Gabe. I'm serious. I'm late for class, stuck in traffic, and out of tea. What do you want?" I growl at him and give the horn another quick press. Its quickly followed by some impolite gestures.

"Jeez, I was just calling to tell you that I found a place for you to stay up there... but if you're not in the mood I'll just call and say you're not-"

"NO! Gabe wait!" I sigh. "Can I please just call you back after class?" I look down at the clock and see that's its already 11:02. Fuck....

"I'm 'fraid not little brother. Sam just called and said his brother is looking for a roommate ASAP and-"

"I'll bring home donuts," I bribe him, knowing that its his secret weakness.

"Ouch, I'm shocked that you think that I'll be won over that easily!" Gabriel responds, his voice sounding as hurt as he can possibly fake. I pause and wait for a few seconds. On the other end of the phone I can hear a long, exaggerated sigh. "Fine... only because you asked sooooo nicely."

"Thank you Gabe, you're a life saver. I'll call you as soon as I'm out of class."

"All right then... bye."

"Bye, talk to you soon," I pull the phone from my ear and just as I go to hit the button I can hear Gabe shout:

"DON'T FORGET MY DONUTS!"

I smile and shake my head. Even though he's a major pain in the ass, Gabe has always looked out for me especially when Lucifer tries his elaborate plans to get me to hook up with someone. Sure, Lucifer and Micheal are supportive, Lucifer overly, but I don't know what I'd do without Gabe.

~~~

"Yo Castiel! Wait up!" the familiar voice of my best friend calls out from behind me as I walk to my car. I sling my backpack over my shoulder and turn around to face her. She's wearing a pair of jeans and a graphic tee with a reference that I don't understand and that I definitely won't ask about.

"What's up Charlie?" I ask, stopping to let the excited red head catch up to me. She's been my best friend ever since grade school after she scared off a bunch of upperclassmen that were picking on me for my rain boots... that just happened to have cute little bees on them.

"Where were you? You're never late for class," she questions, a worried tone edging into her voice. Charlie has always been like an older sister to me, even though I'm technically older by a few days. When I was in the hospital, she was the first one there and the last to leave, besides Lucifer.

"It was nothing. Just got caught up in traffic," I respond with a smile. She raises an eyebrow as if she doesn't believe me. "I'm serious. It was nothing but a traffic back up."

"Okay. As long as it wasn't another episode, in which case I'm taking you to the-"

"Charlie. I promise it was nothing," I reassure her putting a hand on her shoulder. She lets out a deep breath and pushes my hand from her shoulder.

"Fine, but you better not be lying!" she smiles playfully hitting my arm. I chuckle and roll my eyes. I start walking back to my car again as she follows behind me.

"Besides I haven't had one in a year now! I'm basically cured!" I smile throwing my arms into the air in exaggeration and spin in a circle.

"Whatever Castiel," she grins adjusting the bag over her shoulder. "Oh, I was supposed to ask what you are doing tonight! Gilda and I were going to watch the new Sherlock episode and she wanted to invite you over."

"Ugh, I really wish I could, but I'm actually going to check out an apartment tonight!" I respond pulling out my phone and scrolling through my contacts looking for the name that Gabe put in himself. "My brother called me earlier and said that Sam's brother was interested."

"That's cool, you'll just have to catch up for next time!" she smiles. "Oh and how are Sabriel doing?"

"As far as I'm concerned, great. Sam's starting law school and Gabe's still moving into their apartment with the help of Lucifer and Dad aka Micheal."

She smirks and shakes her head, "Lucifer's still living at home? I would've thought he'd moved out by now."

"Ah well, you know how he is. He's still convinced that I'm in a secret relationship with the pizzaman!"

"What! But he's such a nice kid!" she jokes.

"Oh yeah, but he just doesn't swing," I wink at her.

"Woah easy tiger. Well I better leave you to it. Don't forget to call me after you're done! Gilda and I'd be happy to help move you in!"

"Okay, cya later!" I laugh and wave at her as she turns toward her car. As she disappears behind another set of cars, I pull my phone out of the pocket of my trench coat.

I take a deep breath and dial his number. After a few short rings, he picks up. "Hey Gabe, so whats the address?"