031

❝ I would

I would.

-Chapter 38, The Sweetest Contempt, by yeonnieong

--

ONG RAEYEON

Her heartbeat throbbed into her head, panicking as she shifted her head left and right, painfully obvious that there was no way out, other than defeating the pack of armed men. Her fists that were clenched tight trembled as it opened its grasped, Raeyeon staring at her bare palms, hopeless.

Raeyeon's heart tightened when she saw the look of fear, and vulnerability in Woojin's eyes as he held an arm in front of her. She thought, he was always there to protect her, to be there whenever danger creeps up to devour her. And she had never done the same.

I really am useless, am I?

Raeyeon couldn't imagine anything as frustrating as the situation she was facing right in the middle of all kinds of death paths, even having Woojin beside her, as she couldn't help him, powerless. At this moment, she wouldn't even cry, nor scream. She was harshly angry. Angry towards herself.

"What should I do..." she whispered under her breath, head hung low. "I'm so weak."

Suddenly, as if time had stopped, Raeyeon was in trance.

'Use your powers,' a soft, feminine whisper surrounded her mind.

Raeyeon widened her eyes, checking all around her to witness no one talking to her, even more, with a calm voice. She tried to search for the voice again, using her mind, 'Who's this?'

'It's Rose.'

Raeyeon looked at the people around her, to see them completely frozen still. Has Rose stopped the time?

'What do you mean, use my powers? I don't have'

'I lied when I said I'd help you with my powers. Those things you did with the assassins, the way the sword split into two when it touches your skin, when you reversed the bullets thrown,' Rose paused. 'I just used your powers, not give you one. You know yourself I have to create a spell in order to use my powers.'

Raeyeon had her lips parted. 'W-What?'

'You said what happens to your dad is of your concern,'

'I guess I did...b-but I can't control those stuff-'

'You're a human descendant for a reason,' Rose replied. 'don't fear the human descendant who failed his job.'

'I...can't do it.'

'You must think of who you want to do this for.'

A gush of soothing wind kissed Raeyeon's skin, as the blinding lights of the building snapped her back out of her reverie. The assassins, as well as the threatening rolls of weapons loaded back in action. She sneakily tugged on Woojin's shirt, signalling him to listen to her.