Chapter 19

Screeching to a halt in front of her house, not even bothering to drive all the way up to the garage door, Emily jumped out of the car. She had no idea what Esther would do to her husband, but she knew he needed to know the truth. The drawings their daughter had made were tightly clutched in Emily's hand as she ran up to the front door. She didn't think Esther would kill Morgan. Or she had to believe that. They just couldn't lose him.

Emily stopped just in front of the door and took a deep, but shaky, breath before slowly and quietly opening the door. She had already cursed herself on the way there for not bringing her gun. It was still locked up in her safe upstairs. Though, would she really be able to shoot a little girl? Even if she acted far from little. The girl was a psychopath. She had no remorse for what she'd done and she killed both Garcia and Sergio to keep her secret. What was it the technical analyst could find out about the girl? That she killed her old foster family? And how many families before that? The file didn't say, but Emily was positive they weren't the first ones.

No, this girl was ruthless so if it came to it she would have to pull the trigger because she knew Esther wouldn't hesitate to.

It was eerily quiet as she entered and she wasn't sure what to make of that. Chills were running down her spine and she just knew something was wrong. As she got further into the house, she could hear her husband's hushed voice and as she walked closer, she glanced to the stairs, wondering if she should get her gun first in case Esther would try something. She stopped dead in her tracks as she got close enough to hear exactly what her husband was saying.

"Esther, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," he said and Emily knew that this was his 'talk-down-the-UNSUB' voice.

"None of them do, but still we always find ourselves in this predicament," Esther said, but it wasn't her voice anymore. It sounded different, older even.

Emily stepped out from behind the wall and quickly locked eyes with Derek. He averted his eyes back to Esther, hoping that the girl they'd taken in hadn't seen their exchange. Any other day, Derek Morgan would've taken down a small person like this easily, but she was no little girl. She looked grotesque, inhuman. He'd never met anything like that. He couldn't know how stong she was.

"Come on, baby girl... We can solve this," he tried again.

"It's too late now," she said, her laughter echoing through the house.

Emily walked closer, putting the drawings down on the closest table to make herself ready to take the girl down. Esther was unarmed which made her wonder what made Derek freeze. Why wasn't she subdued already?

She was just three feet away from restraining the girl when Esther suddenly turned around, staring straight at Emily, eyes boring into hers. At that moment Emily understood. They had learnt how to deal with UNSUBs, humans, but they've never ever stood against monsters. Non-human monsters.

Emily wasn't even prepared when the thing came charging at her. She wished she had her gun now, but kicking her ass couldn't be too hard, right?

Derek beat her to it, though. He reacted within a second, wanting to protect the love of his life. Jumping at her, Derek managed to get the monster away from his wife, but he wasn't prepared for her strength.

"Emily, get out of here," he said as he held his arms around Esther's neck.

And Emily did run, but not out of the house. Instead she ran up the stairs toward her bedroom. This reminded her of a bad horror movie where the big breasted blonde ran upstairs where there was no way of escaping instead of outside.

She reached the room and ran up to her safe. With shaky fingers she tapped her code in and it opened with a click. She hurried to grab her Glock and clip. Loading her gun, she held it up in front of her as she started to walk back through the house. It was silent again. There was no sound of her husband and Esther fighting anymore which worried Emily. Who had won? If it was Derek he would've come looking for her to tell her that everything was okay.