Chapter 14

No one knew she did it. How could they? As far as they knew she had been upstairs in her room painting the entire time. How could they have known she'd snuck out and gone to the hospital that was only minutes away from the house? How could they have known Esther would wake Marisa up just to see the life drain from her eyes as she pulled the plug out? Esther was the only one who knew and it would stay that way.

Right now she was in her room. It was dark, but still she was continuing with her painting. She had drawn a beautiful landscape with trees, flowers and a sun, but what was hidden in it was something much more terrifying. Smiling to herself, she added some red to one of the flowers. It was turning out just like she wanted it to.
The brunette gazed outside and noticed that the sun was just about to rise. The house was still eerily quiet. Her daddy and Emily weren't up yet. Neither was Grace. Though, if Esther had scared her enough, the little brat should lay sleepless every single night, waiting in fear for Esther to strike.

As soon as the thought had come up she heard a pair of small feet running outside her bedroom. She got up from the chair and opened her door slowly and just enough for her to peak out. Her eyes immediately spotted a tiny figure running into her parents room, clutching her favorite doll tight to her chest.
Esther's eyes darkened. This was not how it was supposed to be. The girl shouldn't run to her parents. If she did it would eventually lead to the truth getting out and she couldn't let that happen. Not before she got what she wanted. The little girl, her so called sister, needed to be eliminated.

Closing the bedroom door again, she sat down in front of her canvas, a smile on her lips. Tomorrow she'd make sure Grace wouldn't be able to tell a soul.

———————-

When Emily woke up she could feel her daughter's tiny frame asleep next to her. She was curled up into a fetal position, her doll tightly clutched in her arms. Emily sighed sadly and moved a hand to stroke the girl's rosy cheek. Her husband was still sleeping so Emily decided that it was safe for her to get out of bed.

She walked on her tiptoes out of the room and closed it behind her. As she walked through the hallway she couldn't help but to hear the faint humming sound coming from her oldest daughter's bedroom. Checking her phone, she saw that it was only 6.14 am which was pretty early for her daughter to be up. She quietly opened the door to Esther's bedroom and peaked inside. The eight year old was busy with painting and Emily decided that she didn't want to disturb the brunette girl.

Just as quietly as before Emily descended the stairs and made her way into the kitchen. With a tired sigh she put the coffee on and slumped down on a chair by the kitchen table. She leaned back in the chair and rubbed her temple with two fingers on each side, trying to rid of her headache that only got worse by the minute.

The coffee maker got silent, notifying Emily that her coffee was ready. She brought out her favorite cup and put it down on the counter before pouring her favorite liquid in it. Careful not to spill anything from her very full mug, she walked back to her chair and sat down, starting to sip her coffee while she waited for the rest of her family woke up.

It wasn't until two hours later that Emily finally heard someone coming down the stairs. Her head turned towards the stairs to watch who else was awake now

"You're up early," she commented as her husband walked into the kitchen.

He chuckled, shaking his head, "You're the one to speak? You weren't in bed when I woke up. Are you okay?" Morgan said as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"No, I'm alright. Just have a terrible headache," Emily told him with a forced smile to let him know that she really was okay.

"I'm sorry, honey," he said, placing a kiss on her head. "Why don't I make some breakfast, the kids should wake up soon."