Chapter 1

A/N I have a bunch of fanfictions on another site so I'm in the progress of transferring them to wattpad! Tell me what you think please:)

************************************

Chapter 1

"A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it."

Frank Howard Clark

They were happy to get the phone call. After they'd been trying for a year they had finally gone to the doctor to find out that they wouldn't be able to have more children. They could have spared them the money and told them when she'd given birth to Grace. She'd been born too early and they'd been forced to do an emergency C-section. Emily almost didn't make it, but never had they mentioned that she could never get pregnant again.

Grace had been asking about a sibling on her 5th birthday and Emily and Morgan did only have to consider it for five minutes before deciding to try for it. Both of them had thought about another kid, but neither had wanted to bring it up, unsure if the other one wanted the same. Now that Grace brought it up for them it was the perfect opportunity. So they'd been trying... And trying and trying with no progress. When they got the news from the doctor they hadn't given up. As soon as they got home they called an adoption agency. It was not easy for two FBI agents with an unpredictable schedule to get chosen for adoption though. Emily even considered resigning. That was until they got the phone call from a woman named Theresa. She told them that they had a girl for them, but she was 8 years old and might have some problems. Her family had been killed and she was the only one alive. Emily wanted to discuss it with Morgan and Grace first, but the little girl didn't have anyone else. Without bothering talking to anyone she said yes to the offer. She decided that she would go on maternity leave the first couple of weeks to get the girl settled and to be there whenever the girl would have nightmares, because from Emily's experience she sure would have a couple.

"Who was that?" Morgan asked when he sat down by his desk.

"The adoption agency..." she started and Morgan looked at her hopefully. "They wanted to know if we would consider adopting an 8 year old, who was the only survivor when someone killed her family, instead of a newborn."

"That's horrible." Morgan looked concerned. "And she doesn't have anybody?"

"She has no one!" Emily said and waited while Morgan thought about it.

"Do you think Grace would settle for a big sister?"

Emily leaped out of her chair and hugged Morgan, who in turn gave her a peck on her lips.

"What did I say about showing affection in the office?"

They both looked up to see Hotch and Emily left her place in Morgan's lap.

"I'm sorry, sir, but... We're adopting another girl. Tomorrow, actually, so if that's a case you're holding I'm taking maternity leave right now."

"You'll work in the office with Garcia. Briefing in 5." Hotch started to walk away, but stopped after a few steps and turned towards them. "And congratulations."

They gave each other one last kiss, when they were sure Hotch wasn't looking, before they followed him to the conference room. Neither of them was able to hide their happiness, but no one had the chance to comment on it before Garcia spoke.

"We have five cases of home invasions in Atlanta, Georgia. In every case they kill the whole family, gunshot wounds to the head execution style, but left their teenage daughter alive to tell the police everything." Garcia paused as the team flipped through the pictures on their IPads. "They were two white male in their early twenties, both brunette and blue eyes. One of them had a beard."