Chapter 17

Morgan was furious when the door slammed behind Emily and his youngest daughter. Sitting with Esther curled up to his side, he tried to calm down. He didn't want her to know how angry he was. Though, the way the two adults had screamed at each other, Esther had probably heard everything which meant she heard Emily say how Esther wasn't their daughter. After losing her previous parents, hearing that her new mother didn't want her must bring her down even further.

"Why does mommy hate me?" Esther's innocent voice asked, confirming that the girl heard everything.

"Mommy doesn't hate you. She's just stressed and that can make people say things they don't mean," Morgan tried to explain, wishing that it was true.

Esther was quiet for a second before she said, "I'm glad I have you at least."

"Me too, kiddo. Me too," Morgan agreed, placing a loving kiss on his daughter's head.

——————————————-

Ringing the doorbell, Emily took a step back and waited for the door to open. A protective hand was held around her daughter, feeling the young girl relax a little. They could hear someone moving behind the door and finally her blonde friend opened.

"Emily, Gracie, what a surprise," JJ said, happily, but her expression faltered when she saw the bags they were bringing. "What's going on?"

"Can we crash here tonight?" Emily asked.

"Of course. Come on in," JJ said, holding the door open. "Will you tell me what happened?"

"Yes," she answered, shortly. "Gracie, Sweetie, do you wanna watch TV?"

Grace was silent, her head hanging down.
JJ exchanged a look with Emily and then looked at Grace. "Henry is in the living room, watching Winnie the Pooh." JJ smiled as she held out a hand that Grace hesitantly grabbed.

Emily followed her daughter and friend to the living room, making sure that Grace would be okay.

Grace sat down in the armchair, drawing her feet up underneath her chin. JJ turned around, motioning for Emily to go to the kitchen which Emily did.

Sitting down on a stool by the kitchen island, Emily watched as JJ poured them both a cup of coffee and then went to sit down next to the brunette.

"Are you okay?"

Emily shook her head, "No."

"What happened to Grace?" JJ asked.

"Fell down the tree house. I think..." Emily paused, taking a deep breath. "I think Esther intentionally pushed her."

There was a silence between the two women as the blonde took in what her friend had said. Emily wasn't sure if she would believe her or say she was crazy.

"Why?" JJ finally asked.

"Why what?"

"Why do you think Esther pushed her?" JJ clarified.

"I don't know.. It just... Everything that's happened lately. Sergio, Garcia, the girl at Esther's school and now Grace. The one thing all of them have in common is Esther." Emily took a sip of her coffee as she remembered something. "She was awake just before I found Sergio. I heard something downstairs. That's why I woke up that night and when I came down she was there." Emily shook her head. "I know it's wrong to suspect that your daughter is some kind of monster, but..."

"You don't think it's just a coincidence?" JJ dared to suggest.

As soon as the blonde had said that, Emily shook her head. "Look at Grace. Ever since Garcia was killed, Grace has changed. She told me she was scared and I think it's Esther she's scared of."